Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Question about nylon straps

I recently replaced my straps with one inch strapping from a local outdoor store. I assumed it would be strong enough but after all this talk about straps breaking etc. I decided to call them and check. They informed me that the straps were "not strength rated" which made me a bit uneasy.

Yesterday I called a local EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) store which carries a 1" strap rated at over 4000 lbs. but it is made out of nylon. My understanding is that nylon stretches more than polyester. My question is....how much stretch can I expect and does it stretch only once. I don't want to deal with stretch each time I hang the hammock.

I plan on heading over to EMS later today so a quick response would be appreciated.

Thanks, Miguel

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    My question is....how much stretch can I expect and does it stretch only once. I don't want to deal with stretch each time I hang the hammock.
    The amount of stretch you get is dependent on your weight and the length of the hang. Minimally, I think you'll get several inches worth of 'sag'.

As far as stretching more than once, yes I'm afraid that it will take some time to fully stretch webbing. I'm not sure that it would keep sagging over time(I think it should be able to be fully stretched and no longer be a problem, like a nylon hammock body, but I'm not certain) because I've never used nylon webbing under weight for an extended period.

My advice: see if EMS doesn't have some polyester webbing. Short of that, Strapworks seems to be a good vendor.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Get some polyester or polypropylene webbing. Nylon doesn't stop stretching for a long, long time - it keeps returning close to its original length, kinda like a rubber band.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    ditto on the previous thoughts - save yourself the hassle and buy from strapworks, i have been using the ring buckle system with 12 ft of 1 inch strap on either side and have yet to have ANY stretch, probs or need for further adjustments.
    thanks to all the diyer, testers and posters. i'll never tie another henn. knot!!

peace

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Speer poly webbing works great for me.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the advice...I'll be ordering from strapworks. I like hassle free hanging.

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    PS....How long are most people using? I've been thinking 12' (each end) but have been considerering 15'. In reality I've been using 10' without any problems but don't want to be caught short. This is with the ring system.

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    PS....How long are most people using? I've been thinking 12' (each end) but have been considerering 15'. In reality I've been using 10' without any problems but don't want to be caught short. This is with the ring system.
    10' to 12' seems to be typical. I chose 15' just to facilitate longer possible hangs.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Miguel
    I bought 12' to go with an HH Desert Rat that I modified with rings that are tied to cord which replaces the stock rope, and the cord is tied onto the hammock body in the same way that HH does. I have also a HH Explorer Ultralight, whose ropes I left. I can tie those rings anywhere on the rope length I like, using knots that loosen after use. At the moment I'm using those 12' straps on the Explorer, but they are way more than is needed if I move the rings down the rope. I'm thinking about cutting the straps in half....but haven't yet. I want to be sure I can keep moving those rings whenever I want, before slicing the webbing.

Grizz the cautious

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'm thinking about cutting the straps in half....but haven't yet. I want to be sure I can keep moving those rings whenever I want, before slicing the webbing.

Grizz the cautious
    As relatively cheap as webbing is, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast