Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, I have two more questions. For now I'm just using cinch buckles/straps for his hammock since he'll probably just car camp. If he ever decides to backpack with me though, I'll probably make him some whoopie slings.
    Can I larks-head a whoopie sling onto the end of a continuous loop or do I have to use hardware like whoopie hooks for that?
    Eventually I'd like to try whoopie hooks but I'm just sticking to necessities at this point. I'm thinking I'd like to keep the whoopie slings out of the end channels so that if they get wet in rain I'd still have the option of storing my suspension separately from my hammock.

My second question is about the cinch buckles. I attached the cinch buckles to the continuous loops using this method
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECKZcAjRvnM
    Can anyone show me a video on how to do it so the ends of the loop are at the sides of the buckle, like Dutch does?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Someone else jump in if I'm not 100% on this, I'm still pretty new, but to my understanding, AmSteel begins to weaken when the radius of the bend is less than the radius of the rope itself, therefore a Larks head upon itself should be fine with no integrity loss.

Good idea on keeping the whoopies out of the end channel. There's nothing wrong with it inherently, especially if you're a fair weather or home hanger, but for convenience of taking wet suspension off of your hammock, it works well.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrogen View Post
    Someone else jump in if I'm not 100% on this, I'm still pretty new, but to my understanding, AmSteel begins to weaken when the radius of the bend is less than the radius of the rope itself, therefore a Larks head upon itself should be fine with no integrity loss.

Good idea on keeping the whoopies out of the end channel. There's nothing wrong with it inherently, especially if you're a fair weather or home hanger, but for convenience of taking wet suspension off of your hammock, it works well.
    Ya, I can't take credit for that idea. I read it somewhere on the forum recently but I can't remember who said it. These forums have really been a blessing to me! I've been reading and gleaning for months and have learned so much from everyone! When I started looking into hammocks I had no idea how many intricacies and options there are with them! I'm really enjoying the learning process and everyone's willingness to help and answer questions.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainlaurel View Post
    Can anyone show me a video on how to do it so the ends of the loop are at the sides of the buckle, like Dutch does?
    I don't have a video, but you merely wrap it around the cinch buckle PRIOR TO splicing the ends together.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I don't have a video, but you merely wrap it around the cinch buckle PRIOR TO splicing the ends together.
    Oh fooey! That means I'm too late. I already made all my continuous loops. :/ Oh well. I know the way I did it can cause the cinch buckle to twist on the strap. Is there any functional disadvantage to it twisting or is it just a neatness issue?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Twisting is OK.. What is detrimental to your back end is when the strap doesn't enter and exit the buckle straight. This can be caused by the amsteel unevenly pulling on the buckle, which is why, with either method, the extra wraps around the buckle are necessary. They keep the 'pull' on the buckle centered.

Hope that makes sense.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Twisting is OK.. What is detrimental to your back end is when the strap doesn't enter and exit the buckle straight. This can be caused by the amsteel unevenly pulling on the buckle, which is why, with either method, the extra wraps around the buckle are necessary. They keep the 'pull' on the buckle centered.

Hope that makes sense.
    Ok, so the way I did it should be fine because the continuous loop is centered in the middle of the cinch buckle? I wrapped it enough times for it to fill the bottom of the buckle so there wouldn't be any shifting.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Ok, so the way I did it should be fine because the continuous loop is centered in the middle of the cinch buckle? I wrapped it enough times for it to fill the bottom of the buckle so there wouldn't be any shifting.
    Yep! Actually, some hammocks come that way(Simply Light Designs) and I think I prefer that way. Although, my last hammock(Hammeck) came threaded the other way and I haven't bothered to change it. Bottom line, either works.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Can I larks-head a whoopie sling onto the end of a continuous loop or do I have to use hardware like whoopie hooks for that?
    I would use some hardware here. Not for protecting against wear, but if you want them to be removable, it can be a real pain to separate after the amsteel stets on amsteel if that makes sense.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    I would use some hardware here. Not for protecting against wear, but if you want them to be removable, it can be a real pain to separate after the amsteel stets on amsteel if that makes sense.
    Yet another option for joining hammock loop to whoopie, if you want to avoid undoing amsteel larksheaded to amsteel: the soft shackle. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...dial-up-beware

Or the improved soft shackle: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d+soft+shackle

Neither poses much of a challenge to make. I can open/close the improved version much faster.

BTW, I've undone a closed loop on the cinch buckle of an auction hammock to re-configure it Dutch style, to reduce the potential for twist and webbing damage. I actually enjoyed it.
    :*)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123