Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Going to Ground with Hammock Gear Burrow

Any clever tips for keeping a good seal when going to ground with your burrow quilt? I tend to toss and turn when camping and then I get a bit drafty with the whole upper half of the quilt open. The last time I went to ground I buttoned to the top, but would like a way to keep the rest of the quilt closed or stuck under my sleeping pad. Thanks!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Try adding a few elastic straps to keep the mat and your quilt together. I make my quilts with a draft stopper, just a 6 inch ruffle, it seals out the little openings that cause me grief. One of the quilt mfg. sells a kit very reasonably to hook the quilt and mat together so the person is not trying to keep everything together and sleep.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Draft collar at head (and foot ends if not sewn) and use shot cord bungees to the d rings on quilt if it has them, (my HG Burrow does) and a pocket to keep draw cord out of face. Here are some pics.
    20160329_193924.jpg20160329_193930.jpg20160329_194005.jpg20160329_194014.jpg20160329_194101.jpg20160329_194222.jpg1459294765062.jpg
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    Draft collar at head (and foot ends if not sewn) and use shot cord bungees to the d rings on quilt if it has them, (my HG Burrow does) and a pocket to keep draw cord out of face. Here are some pics.
    20160329_193924.jpg20160329_193930.jpg20160329_194005.jpg20160329_194014.jpg20160329_194101.jpg20160329_194222.jpg1459294765062.jpg
    I don't think my burrow does have the d rings, but that is a good idea! Do you ever feel the D rings dig into your side when laying in the hammock? Seems like that would be a possibility.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Looks Like the new Burrows all come with the D rings, and they have a kit to attach to a pad:
    http://www.hammockgear.com/ground-pad-attachment-kit/

Maybe I need to send my quilt in for some custom work. Might as well have them add some overstuff and sew the foot box while they are at it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Call HG and see if they can add them on to your quilt and then sent back with the shock cord kit. You may have a quilt prior to this becoming a standard feature. The Kit has always cost extra but we are talking small amount; maybe $5. The cords to hold the quilt to the pad and the pull cord to cinch around the neck create a great pad-bag(quilt)-ground combination. I have the same D-rings on a 50º UGQ but the HG Pad Kit works for both quilts. The Kit for the UGQ only works for it not both. Try it - Mikey likes it!

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by joefbtg28 View Post
    Do you ever feel the D rings dig into your side when laying in the hammock? Seems like that would be a possibility.
    I have never felt them or woke up with triangle imprints in strange places. They are the small ones about the size of your pinky nail.and lay flat against the sewn edge.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Going to Ground with Hammock Gear Burrow

I spend more nights on the ground than hanging with my HG and EE quilts and I've never felt the need to use shock cord or straps to keep the quilt sealed. I sleep on a rotisserie, rolling over all night long.

My quilts were both ordered in the wide variants and I use a Thermarest XLite pad on the ground. I think a bigger concern when you are on the ground is your pad... Are you asking about unplanned or planned nights for going to ground? I don't take my XLite when I'm planning on hanging (I've got an HG UQ) and if I was forced to go to ground I'd improvise a pad with my pack, leaves, clothing, rainskirt, sitpad... I don't think it would be comfortable but it'd make due.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So the snapped footbox is too cold?
    Quote Originally Posted by joefbtg28 View Post
    Looks Like the new Burrows all come with the D rings, and they have a kit to attach to a pad:
    http://www.hammockgear.com/ground-pad-attachment-kit/

Maybe I need to send my quilt in for some custom work. Might as well have them add some overstuff and sew the foot box while they are at it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by toddseimer View Post
    So the snapped footbox is too cold?
    I, like a lot of people, thought the snapped foot box would provide greater flexibility. Two years later I have never unsnapped it to use as a blanket, or to vent my feet. My problem is the way the footbox uses the draw string to close it. When it is fully tight, there is still about a 2" hole where heat can escape out the foot box. The last thing I would ever want to vent would be my foot area. I feel it doesn't perform as well for me in colder temps as the sewn footbox would. I just vent the sides of the quilt if I get hot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast