Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + DIY Sniv
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Grappler
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    All of my tarp stakes were yanked out by the wind, and flying around dangerously, until I put HEAVY rocks on each one. Then a limb broke and came down through my tarp and sheared off my tarp extension. ... And the remainder of the NoGround pole was absolutely stable and secure feeling throughout the storm.
    Yikes! I'm impressed that you didn't wind up on the ground in a storm like that. I also have a set of NoGround poles, but have not faced any stormy conditions yet. It gives me real comfort to know that your pole held up so well. By the way, what sort of stakes did you use for the guy lines on your NoGround pole?

Thanks for the report.

Hi trhang! Glad to hear you have the NoGround poles too. To answer your question, I tried several options for staking out the NoGround pole.
    12inch_stakes.jpg
    These are a couple stakes that I used. The plastic one on the left weighs about 1.25 ounces. I broke one of these when I hit a submerged rock. I bought them on impulse, and now I don't think they are up to the task.

The aluminum stake weighs about 1.9 ounces. I bent and blunted several of these. They are not completely destroyed, but will be with a few more uses, I think. But the soil was pretty unforgiving in some of the locations that I camped, and maybe I should expect some of the stakes to be replaced each season of heavy use.

I brought a continuous loop of amsteel, so I could convert a single anchor line to a double staked end. It worked well and is something that I would do again. Also, during site selection, I would look for possible tie off points in place of staking. Sometimes a stout bush or a rock would be close enough to be of service for one of the anchor lines, instead of a stake.

But so much of your stake question will be determined by the type of terrain in which you plan to set up your NoGround pole(s). I also have the alamosa style stakes from raftingtigger, and will probably use those when the terrain is not so sandy.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    That sounds really promising that it's so stable!

My biggest concern with ordering is that it's still such a new products and kinks and quirks are still being worked out and the product updates a lot as raftingtigger's ingenuity processes. I know she's a champ at offering updates and stuff to first movers, but living in Scandinavia, the shipping is a costly process, so I'm still sort of waiting it out till I feel comfortable that I won't need to get a bunch of extra stuff shipped after my initial purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Latt View Post
    That sounds really promising that it's so stable!

My biggest concern with ordering is that it's still such a new products and kinks and quirks are still being worked out and the product updates a lot as raftingtigger's ingenuity processes. I know she's a champ at offering updates and stuff to first movers, but living in Scandinavia, the shipping is a costly process, so I'm still sort of waiting it out till I feel comfortable that I won't need to get a bunch of extra stuff shipped after my initial purchase
    Sure, I understand.

Yes the product has gone through some updates. It seems the areas that are being addressed deal with various terrain, stakes and different pole feet for instance. Also in my case, my bridge hammock required a different configuration of the NoGround pole than was previously available. Hopefully we will get some other NoGround pole users to share their experiences. It would be helpful to know about various tarp sizes they are using. That way people who are still undecided can make a more informed choice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12