Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underquilt

Underquilt

I have always used pads as my bottom insulation and am ready to take the plunge and invest in an underquilt. What are some of your favorite underquilts? And why?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first underquilts were from HammockGear, a 20* Phoenix and Burrow each with 2 oz. overstuff. I eventually sold those quilts and got a regular 20* Phoenix and Burrow, no overstuff. I use these quilts 80% of the time, but I also bought an HG 40* Phoenix and Burrow, and an HG 0* Incubator and Burrow. It's nice to have luxuries, but the 20* quilt set is the go-to gear in my closet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    There are quite a few good companies to choose from. Warbonnet makes a really light 3/4 underquilt. I also like my Wilderness Logics full-length underquilt: it's a bit larger than most other standard underquilts, which makes it a bit heavier but also luxurious. My hiking underquilts are from HammockGear and they are great. They have a unique design to save weight in the leg area. I hear Underground Quilts, Enlightened Equipment and JacksRBetter are very nice, too. But I think my next underquilt will be from LocoLibre. Not because I'm unhappy with HG, but because I'm curious, and the design is interesting.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Almost forgot Arrowhead Equipment. They're better known for their synthetic Kickass Quilts, but they make down underquilts, too. I probably forgot a couple of other makers...

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I have underquilts from Hammock Gear (incubator 20 long), Arrowhead (New River Long 3 season), and Warbonnet Lynx (for WBRR Bridge Hammock), my top quilt is a 20 degree Jacks R Better. I love all of my quilts. For the cost, arrowhead KAQs are hard to beat, great customer service from Paul, synthetic is good in damp conditions and these still pack down pretty good. My incubator fits my Warbonnet XLC like a glove is super warm and packs down really good. The customer service with HG is also excellent. Brandon with warbonnet is also great to work with and makes excellent products! The Lynx is awesome but only works on my bridge (WBRR). Jacks r Better top quilt is also top notch, very responsive customer service and shipped almost immediately. As you see the theme, the vendors on this site are all wonderful. (dutch too!). I purchased an ENO Vulcan UQ for my son with an REI dividend and it performs pretty well on his junglenest(soon to be retired) BUT for the price of the Vulcan, I would definitely go with an arrowhead KAQ if I had this decision to do over. Not sure if this helped much other than letting you know you really can't go wrong. I would suggest letting the members know what hammock(s) you will be using so you could get feedback on which UQ mates well with your specific hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce656 View Post
    you could get feedback on which UQ mates well with your specific hammock.
    With the exception of the bottom-entry Hennessy hammock, all underquilts fit all gathered end hammocks equally well. The underquilt always has to fit the user, not the hammock (unless it's a special design like a bridge hammock or something like the Amok Draumr).

I am 6' tall and am using a gathered end hammock (ENO Doublenest).
    I want to thank everyone for their info. I'll check your suggestions out. Much Appreciation!

Enlightened Equipment are 45" wide.
    Arrowhead Kick *** Jar Bridge is 42" wide while their flamethrower down ones are 40"
    Hammock Gear are I think all 44" wide...

Stuff varies in width from 40" to 61" even...

Just a thing to bear in mind when comparing weights.

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    I also have a under quilt from hammock gear and when I was looking for another one for my son I didn't hesitate I ordered another Phoenix from hammock gear.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    BIAS Anchors
    Love my full length 20° Habanero from LocoLibre. Lots of choices on material and thread color, the diagonal running of the baffles seems to work really well, and build quality is excellent. Email George with any questions you may have and he's quick to respond.

Whichever company you go with, prepare to be amazed at the difference between a pad and an underquilt. I know I was!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast