Tribe Provision
    Tarp
    UST 2.0 Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Mule Tape

Ridgeline length and calf ridge

So I did my first backpacking hang with the full setup recently and opted for a structural ridgeline, and just did 83% for starters. I was pretty comfortable ( beats sleepin' on the ground), but the even at a good diagonal there was a pretty good ridge in the calf area.

So question is, as you lengthen or shorten the ridgeline (to force more or less sag) does it have any effect on the amount of calf ridge? Secondary question is then once a structural ridgeline length is set, does the angle of the hammock suspension still affect whether or not a ridge develops in the calf area? I notice it makes the structural ridgeline tighter or looser...

Anyways, thanks in advance for the advice. I might end up getting a longer hammock, but I'd like to a stick to 10' for backpacking.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    The angle of the suspension has a lot to do with the comfort of the hang. Even with a SRL you should try leaving it loose enough to twist around two fingers before getting in. So I'd suggest about a 30° angle on the suspension combined with a very loose ridge line that should help. Hope that makes sense and helps, hammocks are very custom when it comes to the perfect hang, it takes lots of experimenting to get it just right for (you).
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Images
    Try putting the foot end suspension about 12" higher up the tree than the head end. This will mean you settle into a spot further away from the gather at the foot end, and less ridge.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I second GadgetUK437's suggestion. I had a bad calf ridge in my 11' Dutch Hexon hammock and fiddled with it all night. I finally tried lowering the head end about a foot down on the tree (foot end was already as high as I could reach) and I settled in a little closer to the head end to sleep. The calf ridge was gone. Pretty much the same thing that Brandon suggests for his Warbonnet Black Bird XLC.

Hammock
    Tribe Provision
    Tarp
    UST 2.0 Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    So it sounds like the general concensus/bottom line is that the solution is less a function of the ridgeline length and more about suspension angle or raising the foot end. Sound right?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I decided to test my Warbonnet Traveler 1.7SL last night. With the ridgeline as is, there was the usual calf ridge but not so bad I can't use it. Then I REMOVED the ridgeline completely and there was absolutely no change at all. Some adjustments to the suspension angle made it worse/better, as expected, but this can also be done with the line on.

So like I've already decided, I do not use a ridgeline on my goto hammocks. I'm always more comfortable that way.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Sag can also have effect. Try setting up with more and less than 83%.

Edit: guess i was typing as the post above was made.

Hammock
    Tribe Provision
    Tarp
    UST 2.0 Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I decided to test my Warbonnet Traveler 1.7SL last night. With the ridgeline as is, there was the usual calf ridge but not so bad I can't use it. Then I REMOVED the ridgeline completely and there was absolutely no change at all. Some adjustments to the suspension angle made it worse/better, as expected, but this can also be done with the line on.

So like I've already decided, I do not use a ridgeline on my goto hammocks. I'm always more comfortable that way.
    I don't think I would bother, but it seems to me that it is much easier to keep a bug net on the hammock when you don't have a ridgline length that changes.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matimeo View Post
    I don't think I would bother, but it seems to me that it is much easier to keep a bug net on the hammock when you don't have a ridgline length that changes.
    That could be, but I never use a bug net. I have a Blackbird for when the bugs are out...which isn't often since that means it's too hot for me anyway.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In my experience, stretchier fabrics create more of a calf ridge. Although I like firm hammocks, polyester has been a bit too firm for me - but I have never had a calf ridge in a polyester hammock (I have used 1.4oz PolyD and RbtR's 1.6oz polyester ripstop). But even with stretchier fabrics, you can work around the (inevitable) calf ridge. Try to get your butt more inline with your calves. You can also try to stretch out the fabric under your legs. In my WBBB it helps when I scoot to the foot side. And as others have said, hanging the foot end higher also decreases pressure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast