Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Top Quilt for Ground Sleeping also

I'm wondering if anybody uses their top quilts for tent camping? Do you use a pad? Do you get drafts? How does it compare with the warmth of a mummy bag? Just wanting to know the versatility of top quilts or if mummy bags are far superior when going to ground?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I do. Yes, I use a pad - typically a NeoAir.

If the quilt is wide enough, drafts are a non-issue.

Warmth is the same as a mummy - Caveat: you must have it wide enough to sleep in all your normal sleep positions, and you must seal the neck (cinch cord, snap, buff/similar if cold enough) and wear a hat.

I switched to quilts 14yrs ago. My advice is to get the EE Enigma/Revelation due to the length-wise baffles OR a quilt w/ narrow baffle spacing - otherwise you experience down shifting to where you don't need it = cold.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    My quilts are designed specifically to be used both in a hammock and on the ground and address exactly what you describe. I just posted a few videos in the videos page of the website that highlights how I use shock cord to ensure no side drafts. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Funny money is right and you would likely want something 54" or wider if going to ground.

Cheers!
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    wow, thanks everybody for the quick responses. Great advice on the shockcord at the top, I'll watch your videos bartlax. How long do you think I need if I'm 6'3"? I weigh 140 so I'm a pretty narrow guy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    I would put you in a 78" if you are 6'3". There is some sizing (length, width, taper) and other info that may help you decide what works on the "product information" page as well. Cheers!
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    I do. Yes, I use a pad - typically a NeoAir.
    I use this exact set up. I don't do it often, but I've never had a problem when I did do it.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    You've already heard it, but I will say it again: quilts can work great for sleeping on the ground (when used in conjunction with an insulating sleeping pad).

Personally, I far prefer using my quilt for sleeping on the ground when compared to mummy bags. Not only are they far lighter, comparably warm (when used with an insulating pad and a hat), but I also find them more comfortable and far more versatile. I use my quilt with a pad regularly when I pitch my tarp at alpine lakes etc. and really enjoy it. It is definitely different from a mummy bag though, and can take some getting used to. A good pad retention system (like EE's elastic straps or Katabatic's cord clips) and sufficient width are critical.

Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    I ordered my TQ from UK Hammocks and had them sew two mitten buckle/clip thingies on each side. I attach two elastic cords between them and have a cord lock on one side so that I can regulate the tension. The cords run from one side to the other so that one is about under my lower back and the other under my chest area. When laying in hammocks I un-clip them since they serve no purpose there. If laying on a pad on the ground I attach them and slide the pad so that the cords are under the pad. No problem pulling the TQ up and over me in that config and it keeps the TQ in place regardless of me wriggling around on the pad...

Look at the last pics in this review to see what I mean. It´s not the same TQ as mine, but the same principle. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultral...-Revelation-20

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    When I go to ground I use my TQ with an Exped mat. I hate bags, too restrictive. It is more drafty if care isn't taken to secure the edges. Mine has keepers that go under the pad. After I get in, I snap them closed and cinch them down a bit and I'm fine. If I omit that step, I get a draft down my back (side sleeper) and generally have a cold night regretting that decision. When its cold I generally have a fluffy pillow and wear a wool buff to keep my head/neck warm. My puffer vest also has a snap off hood I use a lot when the temps really dip.

Hammock
    Dream H/Bearded H
    Tarp
    Mtn Wilderness
    Insulation
    TG-MAMW UG-UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I have used a Marcy 20 from Jared(Mid Atlantic Mountain Works) 78" x 50" with a Klymic static V insulated pad down to 18% no problem..I am a side sleeper and do not move around much when sleeping.
    Wayne

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast