Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ditching whoopie slings

So this is my new setup, I've removed whoopies and created two 5.5' dogbones that get girth hitched to my tree huggers. The dogbones are threaded through a 1' section of hollow 5/8 nylon webbing that can slide the length of the dogbone. The purpose of this is to provide a bigger marlin spike knot on the toggle to increase the radius and protect the amsteel from getting damaged. The hammock attaches via 8" continuous loops. The webbing piece can be made smaller to shed weight but for ease of knot tying I left it at a foot. I tried using 1" webbing but not only was it too heavy, it created too big a knot, and slid freely the length of the dogbone and could easily slide off. The 5/8's fits nice and snug keeping it wherever you slide it into position and creates the perfect size knot.

The Pros:
    - This system shaves 1' from either side compared to a whoopie sling suspension reducing the minimum hang by 2 feet overall.
    - Allows Easy removal of the hammock and keeps potentially wet suspension separate
    - Creates a drip stop that sits under the tarp
    - Allows you to get away with using shorter tree huggers
    - Simplifies the setup

The Cons:
    - Weighs 3g heavier than 6' whoopie slings (continuous loops included) This gets negated by using shorter tree huggers.
    - Adjustment is a little bit more fiddly than whoopie slings

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Cool idea. I've used just tree straps with a marlin spike hitch and my CL's before but your way saves weight by allowing for shorter tree straps. It's a bit more finicky to set up than whoopies but I imagine with practice you can get it dialed in to where you don't have to make too many adjustments. It's certainly more versatile.

I like it!

Not a fan of Whoopies, primarily because of the reason mentioned. This could bring me around re MSHs.

Not sure what purpose is served by having the lead be a dogbone. The second spliced loop seems superfluous. Maybe I'm missing something(?)

I'd be tempted to tether the toggle to the end of the lead...

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    yes! i always wanna do that everywhere even though i don't NEED them for my setup lol

that is super neat!! i dig that, seems more effective at resistance to long-term wear. brilliant. evolution never stops!! what kind of weight are you looking at for your entire hammock setup? what i mean by that is: hammock, ridgeline, CL's, toggles, whatever-you-call-this-contraption(x2 i imagine), and sack it all goes in. ultra light?

i also use just straps and knots/toggles to my CLs though. less moving parts, simple=best in my mind because i gotta explain it to the general population in order to spread the hammock love.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I like it!

Not sure what purpose is served by having the lead be a dogbone. The second spliced loop seems superfluous. Maybe I'm missing something(?)

The second loop keeps the webbing from sliding off as well as creates a place to hang things (Eventually I will use them as attachment points of a gear sling when I get around to making one) I started off with knots, a stopper knot was too small, a monkeys fist took up way too much line.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I like it. Gonna give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    I like it, but what about when you want to adjust it a few inches, then you hop in and need to adjust it again? Looks like it would be a pain to get those minute adjustments.

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Pretty cool. where did you purchase the nylon webbing?

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I like it, but what about when you want to adjust it a few inches, then you hop in and need to adjust it again? Looks like it would be a pain to get those minute adjustments.
    If you loosen the marlin spike its actually quite simple and easy to slide the knot up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky
    where did you purchase the nylon webbing?
    I picked it up at my local REI

Just got back from a test trip. Suspension worked flawlessly. No slip and it was super easy to setup. I only had to retie one knot to get it dialed in to where I wanted. Upon inspection of the amsteel after the hang there was no visible deformation, stress, or damage to either continuous loop or suspension side. I'm pretty sold on this setup!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast