HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

HH Overcover Temperature Range

I've toyed with the idea of picking up the overcover for spring and fall camping where there is windy but dry conditions, as an alternative to bringing a tarp but where the wind chill will make some top cover wind break necessary.

Anyone use the Hennessy or other overcover into the 50s, even 60s, without sweating to death? How has this fared for condensation, morning dew, etc?

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've used it with great success on windy nights temps up to 45F without condensation issues.
    If I recall right, I used it on one calm night in the mid 40's and had condensation near my head (the head end, left side viewing up).
    I measured temp advantages and roughly the bug net alone added 5F from the outside temp (no/little breeze) and the over cover added another 5F plus blocked all wind.
    If you watch the HH videos for the over cover they show how to install it tucked into the Under cover. I prefer using the Overcover outside/hanging over the under cover. It leaves a gap to see out of and any water run-off goes to the ground vs.inside the under cover.
    Bottom line - you won't use it a lot/often, but when it is cold and windy it is great to have.

I just got the SS/OC a little over a month ago, but I have been using them heavily in preparation for a fishing trip. Low Temps here range 28F to 58F this time of year - I have no experience with the HH SS/OC other than about 30 nights in these temp ranges.

Space blanket is great to keep the pad dry. I tie the ends of the space blanket to the open cell pad's 4 corners (at shock cord). Mostly keeps it in place. I also wear a Vapor Barrier shirt in temps below 40F - keeps things dryer plus the middle of the night pee break is much easier to tolerate.

Bottomline - they are still on sale for $20, so get one (I did and i like it :>).
    Last edited by oldpappy; 04-05-2016 at 17:00.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the detailed response! So it sounds like I'd be good with the OC in the 45-55F range without any condensation issues.

Do you have the bottom entry or zip hammock?

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megatate View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response! So it sounds like I'd be good with the OC in the 45-55F range without any condensation issues.

Do you have the bottom entry or zip hammock?
    I have the bottom entry.

The OC is great for blocking wind. So far I've use it in gusty (15 to 35 MPH) winds - one night winds was reported with a few gusts at 50 MPH (even woke me up and I sleep like a rock). I have not (and don't plan to) used the OC on warm/calm/damp nights.
    The OC packs down to the size of a baseball - I keep it with the hammock in a very small stuff sack (borrowed from wife's jewelry box :>) and plan to use it as needed when out on my trips.

So far I prefer using the Overcover installed outside (overlapping) the under cover to provide a gap to see out of and allow any drops of water to run-off. A small cord lock on the hammock pull out shock cord (between the OC and Hammock) allows me to adjust this gap. This may be another reason I haven't seen condensation on the OC or SS space blanket - I'm thinking this gap might just create a chimney effect that directs my breath out the breathing hole.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 04-07-2016 at 07:42.
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks. Got one on order for a trip next weekend. I've got a zip hammock, so hoping to find a way to rig it so I can still get in and out...

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Looks like I'll be taking my tarp AND overcover. Temps at Algonquin are dropping by the day with Friday's overnight temps down to about 25F with wind chill in the teens. Gonna be a fun one!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Let us know how it works for you - the 4 windy and cold nights I used mine I really appreciate it.
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Let us know how it works for you - the 4 windy and cold nights I used mine I really appreciate it.
    Passed with flying colours! Two nights of -6C/21F in a row and the overcover greatly increased the temperature inside the hammock with little condensation in the morning. I had a little thermometer in there with me that was recording temps close to 10C/50F!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Great - thanks for the feedback.I commented on your trip report too.
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts