Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp

WBBB/Shug/Footbox

Have just watched Shug's video with the Warbonnet Blackbird (for the umpteenth time) and realized that something he said also applies to me.

He likes to sleep with his head to the right and his feet to the left. This leaves the footbox unoccupied - he uses it for storage.

I'm right-handed - I believe Brandon has made a BB for a lefty - so don't want to screw things up, but would like the spaciousness of the footbox.

Errr...I'm only 5' 0" so I'd like to know if he'd make it shorter for me - why carry all that extra fabric weight and bulk?

I like the "weather shield" of the Clark Hammocks, but don't want all the pockets - would prefer a double WBBB. I read the "I'm on the list" thread and it took me a while to realize that this started in August, but sure whetted my appetite. gear addiction is a terrible thing...unless you have large pockets

I'm thinking (and this depends on the size of my Xmas present check) that maybe I'll get a "real" hammock. For the few times I use it, the Byer's Moskito Traveller has been fine.

Next trip (in central FL) is for mid-Jan and I know there's a time delay for Brandon to fill the order.

Comments, please.

sandy in miami

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    He does a reverse Blackbird, but I don't know about a shortened version. I'm not even sure if it would save 2 oz for single layer, but it would make a regular tarp seem spacious.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Shortening the hammock would probably be a lot of extra work - he'd have to redo all of the patterns he uses.

However, if you like the weather shield of the clark, you might be interested in the Bear Burrito Oven, a topcover for the Blackbird. It's not waterproof, but will help retain a lot of heat in the hammock. And it's made and sold by one of our very own.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/895179

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    ...the Clark integrated one is simpler, lighter, and doesn't cost an extra $75! But the idea is good.

tx

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I dont quite get how a BB is made for a lefty? Because the foot box is to the left? Am I missing something?
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    ...the Clark integrated one is simpler, lighter, and doesn't cost an extra $75! But the idea is good.

tx
    i wouldn't be so sure about the weight. and i don't know for sure either, but the clark weathershield may have less fabric, but it also uses those big heavy zippers, i wouldn't be surprised if a stock bb + arrowhead top cover+ minimal tarp is lighter than the clark. i'd bet it is. the clark is nice in that everything is built in, but that's reflected in the price as well. bb+seperate tarp+seperate overcover is still in the price range of the clark, and maybe cheaper depending on which models you're compareing.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I dont quite get how a BB is made for a lefty? Because the foot box is to the left? Am I missing something?
    It's a mirror image of the "regular" BB - the footbox & storage shelf are on the left, the zipper is on the right etc. The idea is that a right handed person can more easily open a long zipper on his left (and vice versa) by reaching across his/her chest.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    FYI he filled my hammock order in 2 weeks, and one of those weeks was Thanksgiving!

Images
    i just called it a "lefty" because it was "opposite", but lefty is a bit confusing so i try and refer to them as mirrored image bb these days. but yeah, shelf and footbox would be on the left, zipper on the right, you lay with head to the right and feet to the left. exactly opposite of the standard.

can't do a shortened version though. for someone who is only 5'0", you might be able to get fully flat lying on the opposite diagonal in the standard though, that would give you the footbox as storage.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Great explanation...but cant quite picture it....ill just have to wait till I lay in it...:=0)
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast