Blackbird 1.7 dbl XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly Dig Camo
    Insulation
    HG 20* incu/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips,bugs
    Images
    You can go with a 40* over stuffed or not and pick up a Costco down blanket for when you need a little more.
    I have 20* inc and burrow and some nights just the under quilt and the down blanket is perfect.
    Hammock Hangers Have Higher Standards !!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A Columbus Ohio guy as well huh? Nice! I primarily camp from April - October, so it looks like the average low is 41. I'm so on the fence right now about the footbox. Part of me says how nice it would be to open it up on those warm summer nights. I do read a lot of people complaining about a small draft in cold weather. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by calpal View Post
    I like to look up average lows for the months I camp in, then knock off 10 degrees as a buffer. If the quilt covers me for the months I need, I'm good. http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Ohio/Columbus/

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    These costco down throws seem like a unicorn to me. I even called my local costco's and they said they have never seen them in their system. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf233 View Post
    You can go with a 40* over stuffed or not and pick up a Costco down blanket for when you need a little more.
    I have 20* inc and burrow and some nights just the under quilt and the down blanket is perfect.

Hammock
    11.5' RBTR 1.0 HyperD Brown
    Tarp
    11' RBTR SilplyHex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MultiBckle
    Yep, from Northeastern Ohio originally. I worked in Pittsburgh the last few years and just moved back at the beginning of the year. I have never had one that could open up, so I cannot speak to that. Sliding a foot out has never been an issue for me even with a closed/insulated footbox. If you really are on the fence, have you considered getting the 20* since you will be covered in all situations, then coming back in a year or two and rounding out your kit with a 50* if you feel it would make a difference at that point?

I'm a warm sleeper and a 20 degree quilt is way too warm in the summer months and I mostly hike in northern Wisconsin. If you're unsure, HG will make a custom 30 degree quilt at no extra charge. Just order the 40 degree quilt with 2 ounces of overstuff and tell them to size the baffles to 30 degrees. Bear in mind that a 40 degree quilt with two ounces of overstuff is still a 40 degree quilt. The down just won't move around as much.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The overfill will still buy you some extra warmth though. Without overfill you can hold the quilt up to the light and see some "empty" areas. While this is common and will still keep you warm, the overfill will reduce/eliminate those areas and help you stay warmer. And if it's a bit damp out, the overfill will be that much more help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    My formula is to take the lowest low I think I will see on the trip. I guess this case you would take the lowest low for your 6 days out (so 42ish). Then I subtract 12 and that is the bag I want. That would put you at a 30 degree bag. I would play it safe and get the 20 with no overstuff. A few extra ounces is worth it to be cozy. Also, in my mind, a 20 is a 3 season bag and a 40 is a summer only bag. Also, I have never been too warm in a top quilt (sleeping bag, yes). If you get warm, just vent the side, or take your pad/underquilt out.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    all really helpful, thank you so much guys. I love this forum! I'm headed over to their store next week and I'll ask them about the overstuff and deeper baffles, etc. Being 6'2" I'm already going to have to shell out the extra $ for the long and I'm really curious if the 50" will still work with a pad on the ground for me, I'm a pretty narrow guy. Looking for a lifetime bag for a variety of situations. Really excited to meet the folks over at HG and see their quilts in person.

Hammock
    11.5' RBTR 1.0 HyperD Brown
    Tarp
    11' RBTR SilplyHex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MultiBckle
    Quote Originally Posted by toddseimer View Post
    all really helpful, thank you so much guys. I love this forum! I'm headed over to their store next week and I'll ask them about the overstuff and deeper baffles, etc. Being 6'2" I'm already going to have to shell out the extra $ for the long and I'm really curious if the 50" will still work with a pad on the ground for me, I'm a pretty narrow guy. Looking for a lifetime bag for a variety of situations. Really excited to meet the folks over at HG and see their quilts in person.
    I think how much you move when you sleep is as big a factor as size. I'm a skinny guy (not quite on your level), and a 50" works for me on the ground because I do not move at all during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by toddseimer View Post
    I recommend you get the wide 55 inch width. The extra width really helps if you plan on using on the ground and it also pays to get or make a pad attachment system. I don't ground pound much but it's nice enough to have when I hike above timberline and need to resort to a tent.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast