Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laghang View Post
    The idea of bunking hammocks makes me nervous. I feel like I would be stuck up there (I'm the wife actually). Alternatively, if he was in the top bunk hammock, he could fall on top of me and be his own widow maker. These are probably unfounded fears given that people make hammock ladders. I didn't know this was a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7y_5fAd81c

Again, thank you all so much for your advice! I think we're leaning toward each of us getting a Warbonnet tarp now. We're considering between the Mamajamba (hexcut tarp) for him because he sleeps hot and doesn't want to spend more on a tarp. I'm going back and forth between the Superfly (4 season tarp) and the Mamajamba for me. I sleep cold and would be more open to fiddling with the tieouts of the doors in good weather.
    I would never bunk either. I like my hammock a minimum 18 inches off the ground, and I've done the math - it'll be hard to get in that second hammock without a ladder (and forget that video - I'm not doing anything like that!). All my hammocks have ridgelines so it's not like I could hang a hammock bunk above me easily. Many hammocks with integrated bugnets (the only kind of hammocks you're looking at) come with built-in ridgelines, so it's not like you can disconnect the ridgeline. Besides, the bugnet usually rests on the ridgeline, so if you disconnect the ridgeline the bugnet sags in your face.

So to hang two hammocks bunk style, my bottom hammock will take up 54 inches vertically (I measured the hammock hanging in my office for an example, floor to ridgeline). Add another hammock above it, with 12" clearance between the two, and the tarp will have to be hung 54" plus 54" plus 12", or ten feet (120 inches) above the ground.

Do I really want my hammock ridgeline 10 ft. off the ground? Not much side coverage for sure!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-08-2016 at 15:26.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    you can do a diagonal offset, half bunk, half side-by-side. If you hang off a wide trunk at the head end, one hammock off one side of the trunk, the other off the other side, but a foot or so higher. The slight vertical offset makes a lot of difference.

--
    Gadget.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My wife and I use a superfly and no spreader bar. We just sleep with our heads at different ends. Usually works out pretty well.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCat View Post
    My wife and I use a superfly and no spreader bar. We just sleep with our heads at different ends. Usually works out pretty well.
    Same with my daughter and I. We each carry our own SuperFly, but we always end up only pitching one and sharing it. We hang bunk bed style with heads at opposite ends. I have a smaller tarp that I gerry-rig as a wind/rain block on one side since the SuperFly winds up high enough that my bottom hammock doesn't have ideal coverage. So far it has worked well for us. (:

We both REALLY like sharing the same tarp. I don't worry at all about my kid if she's hanging above me and she likes that we can visit quietly late into the night instead of half-shouting back and forth.

(Actually, we fit two large dogs and two people under the same SuperFly, with a second smaller tarp strung from the SuperFly's ridge line all the way down to the ground, providing a windbreak. We've not weathered driving horizontal rain with this configuration yet, but we have hung through fierce winds late in the winter when it was bitterly cold and the second, cheap, small tarp worked beautifully in tandem with the SuperFly.)
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 04-08-2016 at 20:42.

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    We are car camping so weight/stuff is not really a factor. YMMV : ) AND we have a rolling condo in our AWD van to bail if it gets crazy.

Two below One was tried a few nights last season, fortunately it was fair weather and the tarp was basically a pine-needle catcher. Back then we were using her Hen.Hex.Asym and my WB BB under the larger Hennessey Tarp.

201506SSFCGs6smHang.jpg

We had the feet tied off to same tree and heads at separate trees about ~10ft apart. This season we experimented with utilizing our two WB SF over her (now) WB RR, and my WB BB on two TATO stands (no trees in use). After some camp-side calculations, I've mentioned elsewhere i'm pondering grabbing a noah's 20 (we tried our noah 16 but didn't quite do what we wanted**.)

Thom

**PS. What do we want? Well we enjoy the mental comfort of having some degree of end-coverage like doors on the SF. We will use a WAG bag in a mini ammo can at night under the tarp rather than venture over to the van. I think we do it as much for the cuz-we-can than any other reason we could come up with. And since it was my MacGirlver of a wife's idea I roll with it. Anything to bring some comfort into camp to keep things happy.
    Last edited by accrete; 06-04-2016 at 22:18.
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's cool! Thanks for sharing your setup Thom!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY CS 5.0 TQ&UQ
    Laghang--what did you decide last year? Any success stories of hanging two hammocks under one tarp? (I'm thinking about stitching up a new tarp this weekend and debating size...and thinking ahead to what we may or may not want to do with it. I was debating making it large enough for two hammocks.)

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    AHE UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/DutchBling
    In many locations, where there are three trees suitable for sharing, if the short side of that triangle is small enough (or is a big tree like we have), other options open up. You can combine the bunk and side-by-side methods while sharing the tarp, even with ridgelines. Yes, one hangs low, and the other hangs high. The feet of the hammocks overlap, while the head ends do not, if you manage your lays appropriately. Essentially, if the top hammock hangs feet-left, they must also hang to the right, so their shoulders are over the ground.

I may have an opportunity to test this on Memorial Day weekend. I'll take photos if I do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123