Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Need help w/ insulation

Hello thanks for all the help so far! I have been lurking here for a year or so anyway I am making a UQ I am thinking of making mine out of primalift mainly for a cost factor. I do have a few questions. Everything here is geared in favor of down ( for the obvious reasons. ) Anyway I know the formula for figuring out how many OZ of down I would need but how much primalift will I need? The measurements are 48x52 with 4 in baffle. I am trying to get a 10 degree or around there rating. And have no idea how to figure this. on a short UQ will there be that much of a weight penalty for primalift. Also do I still need to sow in baffles or will a simple sow thru design work?

Also the primalift I am looking @ is from OWF and from the way I read there code its the 2in loft or is there a better grade of primalift to use.

Thanks for getting of the ground I know I will get all the advise I can handle here.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Primaloft from OWF comes in two weights, one is 1/4-3/8" loft, the other is 3/8-1/2" loft. I've not used this material before, but I know there are at least a few people here who have.

Since I have no experience with Primaloft - take this with a grain of salt. I think you should consider Climashield. It's very easy to work with, does not require baffles - just sew the perimeter, add some quilting loops every 6-8" and you're good to go. The 3oz (1/2-1" loft) weight comes 102" wide... that's huge and a real cost savings over Primaloft.

I've been very happy with my Climashield UQ. It's rectangle, 60"x42" and weighs 22oz. Not as light as Down, but also a hundred dollars less expensive.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

I agree with Sclittlefield. Putting together a climashield quilt is very easy. If you are trying to get to a 10 degree rating for an underquilt you may want to use two layers of 5 oz Climashield XP. It will be a bit bulky, but you could always make the second layer removable so you have a winter quilt and a summer/fall quilt all in one. I built mine with a single layer of 5 oz XP and was able to build a 2/3 underquilt for under $40. I just spent some time sourcing materials from members on this forum and also getting the $1 a yard DWR fabric from Wally World.

Thru-hiker has a pretty good break down on insulation and its related CLO value

http://www.thru-hiker.com/materials/insulation.php

DG
    Last edited by BlackGoat; 12-04-2009 at 10:48.

Climasheild XP has the warmth to weight rating of about 600 loft down just for a weight to warmth comparison.

Rough temp ratings are

2.5oz XP - 45dF
    3.7oz XP - 35dF
    5oz XP - 25dF

You can take it from there.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Was considering using a layer of climashield in conjunction with the insultex fabric. I am not sure if I understood the insultex spec correctly. (waterproof and breathable with an insulating microfabric layer sandwiched in the middle). Would an outter layer of 1.1 ripstop, insultex, climashield, 1.1 ripstop inside next to hammock make a decent UQ ???
    Any input?? Sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread

Images
    i'd just make the uq out of climashield and maybe figure a way to attach a layer of the insultex to the inner layer (outside of) of the underquilt. you'll want the insultex to be removeable. i believe the insultex will be pretty bulky, so i wouldn't want it permanently inside the uq.

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ok thanks guys. So let me get this straight I do not need to Baffle the quilt and primashield is the way to go? I can just get the 6.0 oz 60in wide 2in loft and double it up to get my 4in loft for the 10 degree rating. And if I read the post right all I have to do is just cut primashield to size and sew the perimeter of the 1.1 ripstop. This stuff wont shift or anything like that do I leave it in the sheet form or fluff it up when adding it to the quilt?
    Last edited by TNhitman; 12-04-2009 at 17:46.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhitman View Post
    ok thanks guys. So let me get this straight I do not need to Baffle the quilt and primashield is the way to go? I can just get the 6.0 oz 60in wide 2in loft and double it up to get my 4in loft for the 10 degree rating. And if I read the post right all I have to do is just cut primashield to size and sew the perimeter of the 1.1 ripstop. This stuff wont shift or anything like that do I leave it in the sheet form or fluff it up when adding it to the quilt?
    There's Climashield and Primaloft. I'm guessing you meant Climashield - and yes, that's probably the easiest way to go.

Two layers of the 6oz Climashield would be a real toasty piece of work. It comes in sheets and there's no fluffing to do, just leave it as is. No baffles. Just sew the perimeter to the 1.1oz ripstop and add quilting loops once done.

Climashield compresses pretty well for travel, but a two layer 6oz UQ will be a bit bulky... but far better than many big box store insulation solutions. You could easily boost the rating with a simple space blanket between the UQ and hammock.

Let us know how it turns out.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks sclittlefield the info was a real big help. Sounds like a simple UQ.

• + New Posts