DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

0 degree HG UQ and I was very cold at 18 degrees

One thing you didn't mention - what length UQ was it? Was it a full length Incubator, or a 3/4 length Phoenix?

I found at one point that I was experiencing similar issues at temps much higher than the UQ rating (teens and 20s for a 0˚ quilt), and couldn't figure it out. On a whim, I attached a piece of shock cord with a cord lock so that I could adjust the tightness that went from one side of my quilt near my knees, up and over the ridgeline, and attached to the other side (there are little d rings on the quilt for this purpose). As soon as I cinched the cord lock, which pulled the quilt up against my body, instant warmth. I haven't been cold with that quilt since, even down to single digits.

Edit: this was using my full length 0 degree HG quilt. I've never had this sort of issue with a partial length quilt, unless it wasn't adjusted correctly.
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 04-12-2016 at 17:39.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by babaloo View Post
    I have very little experience, but I don't think, a pad or even reflectix under your butt will do you much good.

A pad under your feet, especially when using a 3/4 underquilt, works fine.
    But between my butt and the downy goodness of an underquilt I wouldn't want anything except my sleeping clothes and the hammock. A pad might feel warm right away, but it will also prevent your body heat to travel into the UQ and heat up the air inside it. And thus limit its function.

Be brave and keep the pad out, but keep it close by. When I'm wrong you can still grab it.
    : )

Totally agree with babaloo, Consider ditching the reflectix, and snuggle up tight to the underquilt. NO GAPS is the goal here.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Yep, as others have pointed out you had a suspension issue.

I have a 0* Incubator that continued to be chillier than my 20* Incubator. During a side by side comparison I discovered that my 0* had 1/4 inch shock cord for its primary suspension where my 20* had 3/8 inch. Switching to more robust shock cord has made all the difference.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think folks are missing that this was a borrowed UQ that the OP is no longer in possession thereof, and will probably never see again. We still don't know if the HG 0* had a secondary suspension or not. All the tips in the world aren't going to help the OP adjust a quilt they don't own.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    .... All the tips in the world aren't going to help the OP adjust a quilt they don't own.
    The OP was not asking for tips how to adjust the quilt they don't own but rather "Does anyone else (have the same) problem. Asking for a solution to that problem is implied. As my post above indicates, I did have exactly the same problem with the same model quilt. Explaining how I solved the problem should provide some relief to the OP that they might yet find comfort in using a properly suspended underquilt.

Sorry if my interpretation of the original post conflicts with yours.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Sorry if my interpretation of the original post conflicts with yours.
    I don't think it conflicts; I just have a hard time seeing how any "lessons learned" are applicable because they can't be applied to a quilt no longer in your possession. It would appear to be OP's first experience with an UQ, so there's a limited amount one can even learn about a borrowed quilt used once. As mentioned before, we don't even know if the UQ had a secondary suspension.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ... we don't even know if the UQ had a secondary suspension.
    You have missed the point.

Look past the trees, there is a forest out there.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    You have missed the point.

Look past the trees, there is a forest out there.
    I didn't miss the point - the OP borrowed an HG quilt for one night and is now asking questions about the borrowed quilt no longer in the OP's possession. The OP can't act on a single suggestion because the quilt is gone.

Based on a single experience with an HG 0* quilt, the OP is asking " Does anyone or has anyone else had the problem of being such a cold sleeper that an UQ doesn't do it?" That's the purest form of speculation. No suggestion we make can do anything to change the OP's opinion because he/she doesn't have the quilt anymore and couldn't try any suggestions anyway.

Tell me how I'm missing the point. We don't know if the 0* HG quilt was a 3/4 Phoenix or an Incubator. We don't know if it had a secondary suspension or if it was the old primary suspension only. We don't know how tall the OP was, or how much he/she weighs, or the length of the quilt. We can't help right now because we don't know enough to help, and even if we did know enough, the OP doesn't have the quilt to try out any suggestions.

Those are the kind of trees you just can't ignore, regardless of the forest behind them.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-13-2016 at 02:27.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    To answer the original question: " Does anyone or has anyone else had the problem of being such a cold sleeper that an UQ doesn't do it?"

It's certainly possible that no amount of under-insulation will make you feel warm - uncommon, but certainly possible. It sounds like you are female, and females tend to sleep colder. However, if you're cold at 18* F with a 0* UQ, it certainly sounds like an adjustment issue.

If you were using the Clark XL tarp in your profile, that's not exactly a 4-season tarp at 10.5 ft. long and 8 ft. wide, so wind could certainly chill you and rob the UQ of warmth. Personally, I like 4-season tarps with doors like the Superfly or HG Winter Palace - I think they accomplish the same thing as an UQP (keep wind from robbing warmth).

With the right adjustment, I am able to use my UQs to within 10* of their rating. I like a 10* cushion, so if the expected low temps are going to be 30* F, I'll bring my 20* Phoenix. If they're going to be 20* F, I'll bring my 0* Incubator. And if they're going to be 0* F, I'll stack my 20* or 40* Phoenix under my 0* Incubator.

I'm not a cold sleeper, but I have been cold when flirting with the temp rating of an UQ. I tried my 20* Phoenix at 13* F - won't do that again!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-13-2016 at 00:48.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    This thread has been really helpful to me. I've recently bought a quilt from Ukhammocks that, while I managed to get it somewhat warm on my last night out, it should be substantially warmer. This thread have taught me to tighten my suspension more than I did previously. Cinch the end more and fix a secondary suspension.

So even though the OP borrowed the quilt and there are other questions unanswered regarding that specific quilt, this thread is certainly helpful to both the OP and others with similar challenges.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast