Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't think it conflicts; I just have a hard time seeing how any "lessons learned" are applicable because they can't be applied to a quilt no longer in your possession. It would appear to be OP's first experience with an UQ, so there's a limited amount one can even learn about a borrowed quilt used once. As mentioned before, we don't even know if the UQ had a secondary suspension.
    I'll side with OCDave here... while there's a lot we don't know, or at least are unsure of, all said here is applicable in a greater sense. And especially so considering the fact that he's (OP) likely not to have a borrowed UQ some time in the near future.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I'll side with OCDave here... while there's a lot we don't know, or at least are unsure of, all said here is applicable in a greater sense. And especially so considering the fact that he's (OP) likely not to have a borrowed UQ some time in the near future.
    The OP is likely not to have a UQ at all since they are thinking that they might be so cold that an UQ doesn't do it!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latt View Post
    This thread has been really helpful to me. I've recently bought a quilt from Ukhammocks that, while I managed to get it somewhat warm on my last night out, it should be substantially warmer. This thread have taught me to tighten my suspension more than I did previously. Cinch the end more and fix a secondary suspension.

So even though the OP borrowed the quilt and there are other questions unanswered regarding that specific quilt, this thread is certainly helpful to both the OP and others with similar challenges.
    Latt, Over cinching the ends can cause gaps and can cause the UQ to come off your shoulder.
    Only tighten the ends enough to get them to seal this usually only takes a little adjustment.
    The primary suspension should be tight enough to raise the hammock when you are not in it.

The HG UQ's can be extra fiddly it is very important that your legs are the only thing up on the leg shelf if your butt slides up there you will creat a huge gap at your back.
    hth

O&B, thank you for leading this thread back on track.

One thing I have found that helps greatly in warmth and reducing drafts on a HG UQ is to use the secondary suspension by bringing it over the hammock ridge-line so the UQ is brought up on the ends. This creates a tight seal that wind typically does not penetrate. In the attached photo, I have drawn a red line showing how I use the secondary suspension. If you experience drafts, try this approach.

hg_suspension.jpg

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Thank you all, finally got a chance to get my new 20 degree quilt out and really worked on the suspension. Did notice how flimsy the shock cord was and plan on stitching it out with some heavier duty cord locks. But it was windy today and when I crawled in it was almost instant warmth, probably have to mess with it more but better than my last run in with a UQ. Had my uncle in it aswell. It was new technology to him and he is thinking about making one for him self. Now I did change hammocks tho. I switched to my yukon mosquito net hammock from my double nest eno..... DOES THATmake a difference

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwg View Post
    One thing I have found that helps greatly in warmth and reducing drafts on a HG UQ is to use the secondary suspension by bringing it over the hammock ridge-line so the UQ is brought up on the ends. This creates a tight seal that wind typically does not penetrate. In the attached photo, I have drawn a red line showing how I use the secondary suspension. If you experience drafts, try this approach.

hg_suspension.jpg
    I'm going to try the secondary suspension tomorrow
    Last edited by kattdogg; 04-16-2016 at 18:59.

I just make sure that I pat mine down a bit before setting it up. Make sure that each baffle has an even distribution of down. I have had cold spots before in my UQ.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    The HG UQ's can be extra fiddly it is very important that your legs are the only thing up on the leg shelf if your butt slides up there you will creat a huge gap at your back.
    Can you go into a little more detail on this part? What do you mean by leg shelf?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gfortune View Post
    Can you go into a little more detail on this part? What do you mean by leg shelf?
    Look at the bottom contour of this HG UQ. Can you see the UQ is not a simple curve there is, for lack of a better term a legs shelf and an area your butt and back goes into.
    This design is unique to Hammock Gear. Does that help? I don't know if I can explain it any better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234