HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Temperature Limit for Deep Jungle/Safari Double Bottom

Just curious - for those with a double bottom Hennessy Hammock, what added level of wind protection does the second layer provide? Is it similar to the super shelter under cover?

How low have you take the double layer hammock with the radiant pad alone (no quilts or other covers)?

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I would only take the DJ with radiant pad to 10c as a safe max low...lower than that is purely personal on how hot you sleep.
    The second layer is really going to do nothing for wind protection...if it is that warm out to not require insulation then some wind will be welcome on them HotHazyHumid TO nights.
    The second layer is there to hold a pad or prevent the skeeter's from poking you or added weight capacity. Beyond that it serves as no use IMO

Decide what one wants from the Hammock and buy accordingly ....Love the choices we have.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think a double layer provides much in terms of temperature or wind protection. Better to look at an UQ or UQP for those areas.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't think a double layer provides much in terms of temperature or wind protection. Better to look at an UQ or UQP for those areas.
    A dl is not gonna make any differance than a single in those temps as stated, nothing beats a good down underquilt!, a hammock sock may help abit but i wouldn't go out in those conditions with my uq!

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I have a HH Deep Jungle. Slept in overnight lows in the 40's (F) with just the reflective pad between the two bottom layers....crawled into my truck at 3am to get warm again. First thing I did the next day was to order my HG Incubator 20 under quilt. Haven't looked back since.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    As I have stated in the past, In my humble opinion the under quilt is the most important piece of gear you can have. Tarps are important but it does not rain every day but the sun sets and temperatures drop every day.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like my current set up with the super shelter (undercover below 20C, with the OCF pad under 10C, and space blanket under 5C) is the right approach for me.

I have not slept much below freezing, so changing to a double layer and using a second pad or replacing the HHSS with a warmer underquilt doesn't make sense at this time. If I start going on mid-winter trips then I'll reconsider.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I don't use the hennessy in the winter most of the time. I used it once with my hammock gear 0* under quilt and at 30 degrees it was quite warm, like sleeping on an electric blanket. In the winter I use a DIY netless hammock, since there are no bugs, but the layers of the hammock shouldn't have much of an effect at all. The quilt does the dirty work. I've slept down to probably 25 degrees.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

I have the jungle Explorer and found out that the super shelter padding won t work with the double layer perfectly for a few reasons. There are slight differences in the single and double layer hammocks that make issues with fit. So that limits me to using a ccf pad between the layers, which does work way better than having to lay directly on a pad. I purchased the undercover section of the super shelter to diversify my thermal options. A few weeks back I went on a two day backpacking trip to Canadian Shield territory up in the Kawarthas area. I took a CCF pad for insulation as well as possible ground set up and my diy garlington air matress rig I made which I put between the hammock outside and undercover. I also stored my morning clothes in the undercover. at about 6C as a night low I had my 0 degree sleeping bag off and just covering my legs as I was super comfy warm. It was actually a bit overkill but i didn t want to get out during the night and deal with the blackflies
    Personally, I would just get a cheapish on a one man tent for colder times of the year before I would spend 700-800 dollars or more on an underquilt.

As for the radiant pad I don t think it does much. I own it and have used it. I would second the 10C extreme low limit.

I noticed you are from Toronto. You know full well how horrid the mosquitoes are in the summer. This is the primary reason I went with the double bottom but was not aware of my limitations regarding the supershelter. I suspect you could get the same sort of thermal results and bug protection from a single layer hammock, an undercover and a few clothes laid out between the two.
    Last edited by werkinit; 05-31-2016 at 12:05.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by werkinit View Post
    Personally, I would just get a cheapish on a one man tent for colder times of the year before I would spend 700-800 dollars or more on an underquilt.
    A $700 to $800 underquilt? I'm sure Canadian customs can be a bit expensive, but I still don't think you can find a $700 to $800 underquilt.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast