Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt

Cold Canadian Hammocking!

Hi All,
    just returned from a 2 week trip in Canada. It got down to -6C but I was toasty in my 30 degree peapod with yeti underquilt and JRB Stealth top quilt. So warm infact that I had to vent the peapod down to my waist!
    The setup took up half my pack, but it was a comfort to know that no matter how cold it got, I would be fine.

The only problem was that towards the end of the trip, I stank so much that I couldn't bear to seal up the peapod, the smell was awful!

The trip was centered around primitive skills rather than hiking, so the camping took place in base camps. I also tested out a 10 by 10 winter tarp made up for me by our own forum member Hitchhiking, this also added a lot to the warmth. With the doors of the tarp closed, lying in the sealed peapod with both quilts, I had quite the little microclimate going on

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    cold canadian hammocking -6c LOL. Next week its going down to -15 here in the kootenays ( southern BC ). Whereabouts where you in your primitive skills course?? Glad you had a good time.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Images
    Got any pics? Curious to see your set-up in action.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm sure Supertramp & Turk will find the assumption that -6=cold to be funny too.

Heck us most of us Canadians can't even hack our way out of the Igloo until it warms up to -20!
    Mbiraman: You must live in the high Rockies for it to get that cold in BC. (I am in the banana belt of Southern Ontario, it usually stays between +2 & -10 for Jan & Feb.
    hehe jk, I am happy to hear that you had a good time. The survival course thing sounds cool.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    I'm sure Supertramp & Turk will find the assumption that -6=cold to be funny too.

Heck us most of us Canadians can't even hack our way out of the Igloo until it warms up to -20!
    Mbiraman: You must live in the high Rockies for it to get that cold in BC. (I am in the banana belt of Southern Ontario, it usually stays between +2 & -10 for Jan & Feb.
    hehe jk, I am happy to hear that you had a good time. The survival course thing sounds cool.
    What is that ( -6C), low 20sF? Well, I guess that was fairly cold at least for the time of year, even in Canada and certainly cold compared to summer hanging. I wonder though if that qualifies as super cold in Australia? No idea! Sounds like you did well, but I'm not surprised with both a PeaPod and Yeti under you, plus a light top quilt. It's obvious you'll be able to go a lot colder with that setup. A lot colder.

Using some of the long johns and liner socks containing small amounts of silver, or Merino wool, has really made the terrible stink a thing of the past for me, on trips up to 1 week anyway. Plus, I have used some of that space age no rinse body wash and shampoo on a couple of trips, when I can afford to take along an extra oz or three. It works like magic, really great when the water is just to cold to hop in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

Actually i live in the Selkirks in the Nelson area, half way between Vancouver and Calgary. Generally our winters are about -7c to +5c and we usually get a cold spell for a week to ten days of -10 to -17. I guess thats coming next week. The coast and southern BC get moderate temps but northern BC and the East Kootenays ( right next to the rockies ) is a different story. Oz is pretty warm compared to Canada.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    I'll load some pics today.
    Hey! -6 is cold! It was 40 degrees in Australia when I left! Freezing is about as low as it gets here.

The only downside of teh trip was that a mouse or something similar chewed my JRB quilt and peapod to take some down for its next presumably. I'll have to sew them back up. At least I'll recognise my quilts in a lineup...

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    The only problem was that towards the end of the trip, I stank so much that I couldn't bear to seal up the peapod, the smell was awful!
    Note to self; do not buy a used peapod from Wentworth.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

This is coming from the guy who lives in the Southern most point of Canada. Windsor practically has a tropical climate. I am a little further east and North (Oshawa area) of you and the last couple of winters it has been colder than usual. Temperatures in the -20C range for long stretches. One has to admit that this November has been rather mild for the area.

As for the Aussie who left in the beginning of his summer at +40C, a swing to -6C in temperature is pretty extreme. But I have to admit that a peapod with a yeti and then a stealth top quilt would be a bit much for most. Probably could have gotten away with out the peapod or the Yeti. One or the other would have been sufficient. As the old saying goes, better to have it and not need it than the reverse.

But you are right, -6C is hardly calling it cold. Those below the 43rd parallel (North latitude) really don't know the meaning of cold. And even some of those above the 49th parallel (southern coastal areas of BC) don't know what cold is either. ;-) Bah at -6C most Canadian are just beginning to think of putting on a light jacket over their T-shirt. ;-)

Cheers

Brian

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    I'll load some pics today.
    Hey! -6 is cold! It was 40 degrees in Australia when I left! Freezing is about as low as it gets here.

The only downside of teh trip was that a mouse or something similar chewed my JRB quilt and peapod to take some down for its next presumably. I'll have to sew them back up. At least I'll recognise my quilts in a lineup...
    I only just realized that you live in Oz but were camping in Canada! You get around!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast