Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    Pan,
    I do have one question about the end draw-cords: when snugged up on the head end, the center cord clip can be attached to the suspension line, but it is not under tension. What do you do with the long foot end cord? I assume the same.
    I clip mine to the ridge-line. Makes it easy to reach/find in the midnight pee trips.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Pan,

I got to spend last night (about same temp 20°) in the set up again and was equally comfortable, but I think I'm approaching the limit without further insulation/VBL/liner bag or more clothes.

If the MWUQ-4 was on special last week, I would have jumped on it despite being over budget already. (Did you hint in another thread to "stay tuned")

I think the differential cut of the quilt really helps it conform to the hammock.

The color combo is perfect! Stealth green on the outside and black on the inside to facilitate drying out in the sun.

I do have one question about the end draw-cords: when snugged up on the head end, the center cord clip can be attached to the suspension line, but it is not under tension. What do you do with the long foot end cord? I assume the same.

The testing will now proceed to the BMBH
    Canoeski,

The differential cut is just half of its greater effectiveness.... The body contouring radial baffle are what yield the greatest benefit IOHO.

And yes, staying tuned is in your interest....

As to the center end pulls..... 99.9% of the time the head end center pull is unnecessary... Pull the corners until the UQ curve matches the Hammock bottom...Generally there will be 16-18 between the cord locks at the ideal...

Approximately half of the folks, ones with skinny bird legs, may have a small air pocket under the legs... Use of the center pull as the primary adjustment, again pull the center until the end is approx 16-18 between the corners then take the center pull biner up to the secondary (forward portion) of the JRB SS and clip it... if there is excess slack take it up using the corner pulls...Done, dead air pocket eliminated.

BTW.... the center pull capability is or both end to allow the user the flexibility of using either end as the foot end etc...

Pan
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 12-06-2009 at 07:27. Reason: differential cuts, foot end adjustments
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    ALCON,

Sailor is just getting ready to "Choy hoy" when Navy looses to Army 0n 12 Dec.......

Pan

Ed... to correct game date... moved to deconflict with the various conference championships.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Navy won that game every year since 2002? Just sayin'.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Thanks Pan,

I think I'm getting the quilt fitting fine tuned.

As for skinny bird legs: no one has ever accused me of having those!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Talking

Bird legs yea thats me

Images
    Pan,

I got to spend last night (about same temp 20°) in the set up again and was equally comfortable, but I think I'm approaching the limit without further insulation/VBL/liner bag or more clothes.

If the MWUQ-4 was on special last week, I would have jumped on it despite being over budget already. (Did you hint in another thread to "stay tuned")

I think the differential cut of the quilt really helps it conform to the hammock.

The color combo is perfect! Stealth green on the outside and black on the inside to facilitate drying out in the sun.

The testing will now proceed to the BMBH
    Well, you won't have to wonder about the center cord and how to use it on the BMBH! But I also wonder: on gathered end hammocks, are you supposed to use the center end draw cords on the Foot AND head ends, or just the foot end?

Because you are pushing the UQ to right near it's limits each night- and I am sure it will be even colder for you very soon- I wondered if you were wearing any nice thick fleece? As it is not very compressible, you might pick up at least a few degrees on your back.

And try a VB or space blanket on top of the quilt, between hammock and quilt. That might get you 10 or more degrees, plus keep your quilt dry. I have not tried this with the MW4 yet, but I have on the Pea Pod and of course the HHSS. It allowed me to do ~11*F on the PeaPod at least adequately warm, though it is only rated to 20*F.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, you won't have to wonder about the center cord and how to use it on the BMBH! But I also wonder: on gathered end hammocks, are you supposed to use the center end draw cords on the Foot AND head ends, or just the foot end?

Because you are pushing the UQ to right near it's limits each night- and I am sure it will be even colder for you very soon- I wondered if you were wearing any nice thick fleece? As it is not very compressible, you might pick up at least a few degrees on your back.

And try a VB or space blanket on top of the quilt, between hammock and quilt. That might get you 10 or more degrees, plus keep your quilt dry. I have not tried this with the MW4 yet, but I have on the Pea Pod and of course the HHSS. It allowed me to do ~11*F on the PeaPod at least adequately warm, though it is only rated to 20*F.
    BB58, et al,

For gathered end hammocks the JRB Mt Washinton series of UQ has a center pull drawcord on each end... To reduce/eliminate any dead air pocket under the legs (See bird leg discussion above)...It is not necessary to use this feature on the head end due to the larger and wider body mass... We put the matching end cord so the quilt can be hung in either direction... Also it allow those who flip from end to end to have this capability (such as the TTT Switchback Hammock) on either end for their legs.

BTW... JRB has a free (send self addressed envelope, extra postage, see web site) end cord mod kit for any earlier JRB quilt owner that wants to upgrade the foot end suspension... This feature has been standard on all Nests and Winter Nests for two years now.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    OK, thanks Pan, the ability to use either end as foot end, but only needs to be used for footend, and even then maybe not needed for every one. Got it.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

I have now slept out in the yard 9 of the last 10 days. The lowest temp right after the Big Snow was -4° and last night about 7°. I have been using the BMBH for all but the first few days. For the cold night I added a 1/2" green Army surplus foam pad in the hammock pocket. Under the quilt and above the MW-3 UQ was a thin Mylar space blanket. And, I used a VBL bag covered with a very thin Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor bag liner. Over quilt was the Sierria Snivler (3 season).

Each night I slept in about the same clothes: thin REI long underwear bottoms with my lightest nylon quick dry pants; a very thin long sleeve Columbia top with a light-weight fleece underwear top over that, and a nylon wind shirt. On the feet a pair of pile socks, then VBL socks, then another light pile sock (I hate cold feet). Headgear consisted of a thin Smart-wool balaclava, a neoprene/fleece face mask, and an old heavy fleece Patagonia balaclava. Last night I skipped the VBL (which I discovered is a royal hassle to get in and out of while in a hammock!) and was very comfortable. I do have a fleece bag liner (and kept it under the hammock each night), but so far no need to use it. It also is way too bulky to pack along with all the other insulation.

I am doing a moisture weight comparison now, and will have the result as soon as my quilt is bone dry again.

A MW-4 is on my list. ("I have been a good boy, really")
    Not all who wander are lost.

Images
    ........I have been using the BMBH for all but the first few days. For the cold night I added a 1/2" green Army surplus foam pad in the hammock pocket. .............. and an old heavy fleece Patagonia balaclava. ...........
    Hey, I have one of those ( a "pile" Patagonia balaclava that I sometimes wear like a Russian hat) from 1984! It is still a favorite piece of gear!

How did you like the pad in the BMBH compared to the same pad in other hammocks?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast