Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If you're not planning to sleep in the hammock or spend more than an hour or two lounging in it, I guess you can just buy any hammock. In that case, I think you won't be getting the answers you were hoping for here. On this forum, people are fairly serious about hammocks. Most use them for camping, some even replaced their beds at home with a hammock. No one would use a hammock like the ones you linked to, because they are basically toys not suitable for sleeping in. The design simply doesn't allow it: they're too short and narrow, and the center of gravity is too high, which makes them tippy. Hammocks of that kind look nice, but feel crap when you're lying in them. They're the reason why hammock campers often hear sentences like "You SLEEP in that thing? Isn't that uncomfortable?"

I think that you won't be using either of the two hammocks you listed for long, because you won't be comfortable in them - unless you have a high tolerance for discomfort.

If you want to stick with spreader bar hammocks, at least try to find one that is long and wide, so that you can hang it with a steep angle and use it like this:

Attachment 128768

Otherwise you'll look like this:

Attachment 128769

Or this:

Attachment 128770

If you hang a short and narrow spreader bar hammock with a shallow angle, you'll be constantly trying to keep from being tipped out.

The problem is, with a longer hammock, you're going to need a bigger stand. Generally there's no reason why you can't go with a metal stand off Amazon, as long as it's big enough. But usually, a big hammock and a big stand will not be cheap. That's why the Turtle Dog stand was recommended: you'll have to do a bit of DIY, but it likely runs cheaper than a big metal stand.

However, I would advise you to read a bit more on the forums and learn more about hammocks if you plan on spending a lot of time in your new hammock. You might end up buying a cotton hammock like e.g.

Attachment 128771

As you can see, if you are lying diagonally, you should not be "wrapped up" much. You could save money, though, if you would just get a cheap camping hammock (e.g. from Dutch). I wouldn't leave it hanging outside - but then I wouldn't do that with any hammock, as UV-radiation destroys any fabric.
    Well im not disappointed by what you're saying, id rather not get a hammock than get one that sucks!

Anyways at this point it pretty much has to be off amazon as thats were i have a card from.

Anyways, i dont plan on sleeping in it, but naturally id like one comfortable enough so that would be possible to do so. It is pretty much only meant for lounging outside in.

As far as stands, since im outside in my yard their size isnt a problem, thats why i was looking at 15ft ones.

This is the current hammock I was looking at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KB..._1460812314844

With this stand

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JP...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Now, im going to keep looking keeping in mind what you've told me, but if you could give me opinion on the last two i just posted, that would be great. My thought on the hammock above is that that material would allow for more of a sink as opposed to the guys in the pictures you posted hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Don't get a hammock with a spreader bar on the end. Very tippy and not very comfy. Get a mayan hammock. All of the metal stands are about the same, just make sure it's the right length for the hammock you choose and it can get the hammock high enough to be at the right angle.

Forgive me Hammock Forum family but......If you are just looking for something to nap in for an hour in the back yard, then maybe something like this would be better than a hammock? Very comfy and portable. Much better option than a spreader bar hammock.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lafuma-Gravity...eywords=lafuma

If you're set on a hammock, then get a mayan.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vivere-Double-...=mayan+hammock
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 04-16-2016 at 08:53.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Don't get a hammock with a spreader bar on the end. Very tippy and not very comfy. Get a mayan hammock. All of the metal stands are about the same, just make sure it's the right length for the hammock you choose and it can get the hammock high enough to be at the right angle.

Forgive me Hammock Forum family but......If you are just looking for something to nap in for an hour in the back yard, then maybe something like this would be better than a hammock? Very comfy and portable. Much better option than a spreader bar hammock.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lafuma-Gravity...eywords=lafuma

If you're set on a hammock, then get a mayan.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vivere-Double-...=mayan+hammock
    Hahaha nice, but I think ill stick with a hammock.

I was actually just looking at that mayan hammock. Do they make them longer that are like that, with that kind of stand? I keep seeing that longer is more confortable and i think id like longer anyways

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atp_08 View Post
    Now, im going to keep looking keeping in mind what you've told me, but if you could give me opinion on the last two i just posted, that would be great. My thought on the hammock above is that that material would allow for more of a sink as opposed to the guys in the pictures you posted hahaha
    Does the hammock come with an optional restraining belt? If not, you might want to rethink your choice. Those spreader bar hammocks are known for tipping you out on your keister. It's not the fabric that is the problem. It's the physics. You can't fool mother nature. The critical key to hammock comfort, of any style is the proper lay and the proper length. Fabric is almost beside the point until those those two issues have been resolved. If you _must_ have a spreader bar then you will be most happy with a "bridge" hammock. To my knowledge
    Amazon does not carry them. They are designed to be stable and short with a straight lay. But you won't find them for cheap. Your best bet would be one of the cottage vendors. They are mostly intended for campers. Please note... on a bridge hammock the spreader bars do _not_ form part of the suspension. This is where physics comes in. If the hammock is suspended from the spreader bar you take a wide stiff bar and attach it to a pivot point. Enjoy the ride.

You are talking about a Mayan hammock as stated above if you want a mesh hammock that is comfortable and stable. Essentially a "gathered end" hammock, they are meant to be occupied with a diagonal lay. Some people get them wide enough so as to sleep perpendicular. They are long, pricey and comfortable as all get out. Otherwise... I agree with the suggestion to get a cheap hammock from a cottage vendor. I think Dutch sells his for <$50 and build a stand because the typical amazon type stand is not long or high enough to hang properly without modification.

edit: Just looked at cataraftgirl's mayan suggestion. If it _must_ be from Amazon... that looks like a reasonable option and includes a stand that should do the job. My only concern would be the diagonal position. That's where length comes in. But for naps it might be worth the try.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 04-16-2016 at 09:14.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    This is the current hammock I was looking at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KB..._1460812314844
    It says "width 55 inches" - that is narrow even for a camping hammock. And 13' is not very long for a hammock like that. I wouldn't buy it - but as I said, my expectations are different.

If I would be dead set on spreader bars, I would look for the largest Nicaraguan hammock I could find. I had a quick look on Amazon, but they often don't give the true dimensions of the hammocks. I don't know if "hanging length" = "hammock length" or rather the "length between the anchor points". These kind of statements don't inspire a lot of confidence... I would look for a hammock with a length of 14' or 15' (or even longer). The width should be as wide as possible, but I wouldn't go for anything under 70".

My thought on the hammock above is that that material would allow for more of a sink as opposed to the guys in the pictures you posted hahaha
    Not sure what you mean by "sink". If you want to leave the hammock hanging outside, you should probably pick a synthetic material. Cotton would likely rot quickly. But synthetics will not have as much stretch as cotton. If you are referring to the banana lay, than that can be fixed by a steep hang angle and a length and width that will allow you to lie diagonal. The more diagonal, the better.

Sorry that I can't give you a better answer. I have only lain in a couple of spreader bar hammocks - none of them mine, none of them particularly comfortable. Maybe you're lucky and somebody with more experience will post here. Otherwise just pick one that looks like you might like it and see if it works out for you.

It says "width 55 inches" - that is narrow even for a camping hammock. And 13' is not very long for a hammock like that. I wouldn't buy it - but as I said, my expectations are different.

If I would be dead set on spreader bars, I would look for the largest Nicaraguan hammock I could find. I had a quick look on Amazon, but they often don't give the true dimensions of the hammocks. I don't know if "hanging length" = "hammock length" or rather the "length between the anchor points". These kind of statements don't inspire a lot of confidence... I would look for a hammock with a length of 14' or 15' (or even longer). The width should be as wide as possible, but I wouldn't go for anything under 70".

Not sure what you mean by "sink". If you want to leave the hammock hanging outside, you should probably pick a synthetic material. Cotton would likely rot quickly. But synthetics will not have as much stretch as cotton. If you are referring to the banana lay, than that can be fixed by a steep hang angle and a length and width that will allow you to lie diagonal. The more diagonal, the better.

Sorry that I can't give you a better answer. I have only lain in a couple of spreader bar hammocks - none of them mine, none of them particularly comfortable. Maybe you're lucky and somebody with more experience will post here. Otherwise just pick one that looks like you might like it and see if it works out for you.
    No, that is plenty of good info! Thanks!

No, that is plenty of good info! Thanks! Okay, so spreader bar is out!

What about something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002U...BFL&ref=plSrch

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    What about something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002U...BFL&ref=plSrch

Now you're getting somewhere. Plenty long & Plenty wide. The problem now will be the stand. Most of those metal stands are made for shorter hammocks. You will need a lot more distance & height between your hanging points with a 13 foot long hammock.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Here's one that's 10ft. 6 inches long & 6ft. 6 inches wide. I'm sure there's an 11 footer on Amazon somewhere with more searching??? More than 11 feet long will cause you set-up issues.
    http://www.amazon.com/Neolite-Double...mping+hammocks

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I disagree with all of the guys that state a spreader bar hammock is tippy. I have one of the these http://pawleysislandhammocks.com/ and I love it for an afternoon hang. Both my wife and I were just in it this morning. Your coming to a "professional camping/hiking hammock forum" and all you are going to get are guys attempting to push you to a camping/overnight hammock. These rope hammock are easy to get in and out of and are very comfortable for two. Stick with your direction and you will be happy. Remember though not all rope hammocks are created equal. You get what you pay for.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast