Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Help me buy a hammock...off amazon

So im looking to get my first hammock. I know a little bit about what I want. Atwo person capacity with a spreader bar, id prefer the woven cotton style, but thats not set in stone. Heres what ive got so far.

This one: but the reviews are up and down, so i was wondering if anyone had a opinion on it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AP...A3SQ9YFE6CSCS0

Next is just a frame and then if someone on here could point me in the right direction of a nice hammock with my outlined desires above
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CG...A3PHXB0ALQH7K7

Really the cheaper the better as this is my first and I just want to get my feet wet. But not so cheap that i get a bad experience haha yes i want my cake and to eat it to. But 220 is my absolute max. Thanks! Oh and it has to be on amazon because i just recieved a credit card fron them with a promo apr that I want to take advantage of. Thanks again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    So my questions are:

1) What do you want to use the hammock for..camping, lounging, in the house, outside?
    2) What size are you? Height? "fluffy"?
    3) Do you need a package...tarp, suspension, quilt, etc,
    4) Can you DIY what you can't afford to purchase?
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

1. Im looking for something to lounge in outside my house on a nice sunny day
    2. Im 5'10" 200lbs
    3. I dont think i need any of those and im just looking to get a stand as well since i have no trees in my yard.
    4. Its possible, depending on the complexity of the project. I dont want to make the hammock or stand myself but if i do need a tarp later i can make that

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Here is what I would do:

Read THIS post. Yes it is long but worth the read. Then I would make my own Turtle Dog Stand. I have one and use it inside and out.

I would purchase a hammock from one of the cottage vendors. HERE is an example of where you can purchase one but most of the vendor can supply you the basic hammock for a reasonable cost. Be sure to get suspension with it.

I would not purchase either of the hammocks you are looking at on Amazon. The spreader bars are very "tippy" and not some comfortable. If you must buy off of Amazon then look at THIS but don't plan on it being portable or useful for camping.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    So my questions are:

"fluffy"?

Easily the best thing I have ever seen Dkurfiss post ever.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

What are the benefits of a turtle dog stand as opposed to the metal one i posted from amazon?
    And correct me if im wrong, but i was looking for one with a spreader bar as i feel like the ones without woll wrap around me too much and make me feel claustrophobic. Also, i wont be taking it camping, itll go in my yard and thats pretty much whete itll stay till the weather changes and I need to bring it in. Oh and just out of curiosity, why dont you recommend the two i posted? Just asking to learn more about hammocks!

Oh and i may have used the wrong terminology when insaid "woven cotton"
    This is what i meant by it, this style

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QWB...rKL&ref=plSrch

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you're not planning to sleep in the hammock or spend more than an hour or two lounging in it, I guess you can just buy any hammock. In that case, I think you won't be getting the answers you were hoping for here. On this forum, people are fairly serious about hammocks. Most use them for camping, some even replaced their beds at home with a hammock. No one would use a hammock like the ones you linked to, because they are basically toys not suitable for sleeping in. The design simply doesn't allow it: they're too short and narrow, and the center of gravity is too high, which makes them tippy. Hammocks of that kind look nice, but feel crap when you're lying in them. They're the reason why hammock campers often hear sentences like "You SLEEP in that thing? Isn't that uncomfortable?"

I think that you won't be using either of the two hammocks you listed for long, because you won't be comfortable in them - unless you have a high tolerance for discomfort.

If you want to stick with spreader bar hammocks, at least try to find one that is long and wide, so that you can hang it with a steep angle and use it like this:

caribe-costa-rica-haengematte_1_1.jpg

Otherwise you'll look like this:

red_white_canvas_hammock_with_spreader_bar_model4__06506.jpg

Or this:

lihs02_1.jpg

If you hang a short and narrow spreader bar hammock with a shallow angle, you'll be constantly trying to keep from being tipped out.

The problem is, with a longer hammock, you're going to need a bigger stand. Generally there's no reason why you can't go with a metal stand off Amazon, as long as it's big enough. But usually, a big hammock and a big stand will not be cheap. That's why the Turtle Dog stand was recommended: you'll have to do a bit of DIY, but it likely runs cheaper than a big metal stand.

However, I would advise you to read a bit more on the forums and learn more about hammocks if you plan on spending a lot of time in your new hammock. You might end up buying a cotton hammock like e.g.

Colombian-645x431.jpg

As you can see, if you are lying diagonally, you should not be "wrapped up" much. You could save money, though, if you would just get a cheap camping hammock (e.g. from Dutch). I wouldn't leave it hanging outside - but then I wouldn't do that with any hammock, as UV-radiation destroys any fabric.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Glad you approve of my political correctness
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Awesome.....Identity crisis solved. Now I truly know what I am. I'm fluffy. I feel much better now. Thanks.

After you read up on hammocks in general like others have suggested, look for a mayan hammock on Amazon. Like the one hutzelbein posted in the 4th picture above. We have taken one of those on river trips many times and the kids have a blast in them. It's a comfy hammock if you set it up and lay in it correctly. If 10 year olds can spend all afternoon messing around in it without falling out, then it's a sturdy, not tippy hammock.
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 04-16-2016 at 08:36.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast