Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Side pullouts.. how do you rig yours?

I don't use the side pull outs on my WB MamaJamba often, but last hang the wind was up and the tarp kept blowing in on me. I tried to pull that side out using the pullouts by attaching on 12' length connecting the two pullout loops, put my trekking pole inside that line and then used another 6' length to stake out that side. It held fine, but the two pullout loops were pulled towards the center of the tarps side panel and left that side a bit loose, which of course flapped in the wind. I had the other side in porch mode or I would have used one pole per pullout..and now that I think about it, that's what I should have done.

I'd love some suggestions on how to rig the pullouts..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Yup thats how i rig mine up, and it makes a huge difference.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a single line running from one end of the tarp ridgeline, through both of the tie-outs rings on one side, and on to the other end of the ridgeline. It is long enough, with just enough slack in it, for the mid-point to be pulled to the middle of the edge of the tarp. I tie a looped knot at this mid-point of the line & loop it over my trekking pole, or stick. A separate 6' guy line secures the trekking pole to a stake.

When tension is placed on this setup, the two tie-outs are actually pulled apart, not squeezed together. It does require quite a bit of line. That's why I use 50# test braided fishing line. Most of the time, I never deploy it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I have a single line running from one end of the tarp ridgeline, through both of the tie-outs rings on one side, and on to the other end of the ridgeline. It is long enough, with just enough slack in it, for the mid-point to be pulled to the middle of the edge of the tarp. I tie a looped knot at this mid-point of the line & loop it over my trekking pole, or stick. A separate 6' guy line secures the trekking pole to a stake.

When tension is placed on this setup, the two tie-outs are actually pulled apart, not squeezed together. It does require quite a bit of line. That's why I use 50# test braided fishing line. Most of the time, I never deploy it.

Need a picture for this one.. I'm not 'seeing' it..
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Need a picture for this one.. I'm not 'seeing' it..
    Here you go. View is from above the tarp. I showed just one side pull-out, but it can apply to both sides.

Last edited by MAD777; 04-17-2016 at 08:34.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Interesting....so this kind of takes care of the "pulling in" problem?? It all depends on the length of the trip and what kind of weather I'm expecting as to what gadgets I bring to rig up.

I inherited a bunch of old tent poles several years ago and I'm finally putting them to use. I rigged up a no-sew pole mod on my WB SF a while back. It's just some short loops with strap pieces with grommets for the pole ends. These aren't dog-bones, they're attached to the normal tarp edge pullouts (not the sides or doors). Having an aluminum pole supporting the tarp makes the inside like an old covered wagon. There's room galore and no reason to worry about the other pullouts.

I also made a pair of short poles (maybe 4' and change) to do the short over the ridgeline pole mod. I haven't used those much but they're pretty effective. Overall, I normally just use separate cords from each of the 4 pullouts all the way to the ground. Two will be held "up" by my hiking poles if they're not being used for spreader bars (depends on if I bring the bridge). The other two pullouts I can normally run to a nearby tree/shrub or find a scrap of deadwood to pull them up/out.

If I know it's going to be really windy that's when site selection really comes into play. Find a spot in the bushes to break the wind as much as possible. The surrounding vegetation gives a lot more options on spots to tie off the pullouts.

I have an old MacCat Deluxe and got caught in a particularly bad storm on the AT a few years ago. There's no pullouts so I just had to hunker down in the bushes as much as possible and pull all the side cords tight. Even with that, the tarp flapped against me all night as the trees swayed in the wind. That was the scariest night I've ever spent in the woods I'd say. Even with that, I stayed warm and dry all night.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    +1 on the site selection coming first, and with that comes easy tie-out points and a lot less wind.

I can't speak for the two side-pullouts pulling to the centre, I only have one on each side of my MacCat Standard. But it might be beneficial at times to only pull one out - the one closer to your head. That could create different aerodynamics for the wind to pass by.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I do mine this way as well, except i have mini whoopies made from lash it..

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Ah, see a picture did it. I like that setup. And thanks for the picture. Makes sense. If you had to guess, how much line do you need per side? I have a fair amount of reflective line that I could deploy for this purpose.

I have a pole mode pocket sewn in at the center edge of both sides. Not sure who makes the mod as I bought the tarp from a member with the mod done. A single pole.

But I have been doing some research and like the over-CRL pole mod as well. I have a stack of carbon fiber arrow shafts that I could use for poles once I figure out the right size sleeve needed to join them.

Sent from East of Montauk
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast