Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Simpler Tree Strap Connection?

I just picked up some tree hugger straps and whoopies from Dutch to cut down on weight from my current ENO setup (double nest with Atlas straps.) I didn't order a Dutch clip to connect the strap around the tree because I just planned on sliding the end of the hugger through the sewn loop on the end of the hugger. I tried this last weekend and it works fine. Am I missing something? This seems simpler, lighter and cheaper than using a beaner, clip etc. So why does everyone use some extra hardware?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've recently heard that there are tree huggers (loop on each end) versus tree straps (loop on one end). It was news to me. So a biner, clip or whatever gives people the impression that it's easier with a weight penalty.

I started out using tree straps and making a marlin spike hitch, but now I use tree huggers (one loop through the other) and Dutch Whoopie Hooks because the Northeast was clear cut last century and there are hardly any old growth trees left. I rarely see trees that are too wide for my 4 ft. huggers. If I do, I have a couple of Amsteel continuous loops to extend the tree hugger.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hex70XL
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Incubatr/Fl.Jacket
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    If you need to slide it up or down a tree with branches you won't have to disconnect your hammock to do so. It can also help to give you some weight to throw the strap around a large tree.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I like the adutchables because they allow you to take up slack around the tree without having to use multiple wraps. It also allows you to adjust the effective length of the strap.

In the end, it really just boils down to personal preference.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Some people like shiney things. Many of us though don't care to pack the extra so we do without the shiny. Everyone finds what works for them. If you get to a group hand you probably will not see 2 of the exact same set ups.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

All good points. No one is telling me that it causes excess wear or anything like that so I'll stick with what I got, get some additional adjustment out of positioning the Marlin spike hitch up or down and that's that. I too fall victim to buying the shiny stuff when I'm bored so I'll probably try a Ti clip at some point down the road anyways. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The biggest reason for a Dutch Clip is if you don't have another easy disconnection point on the suspension. A good example of this is cinch buckles. If you have a clip you don't have to thread the webbing through the buckle each time.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S&D
    My suspension is attached to hammock. It is modular and can be removed and taken apart. While camping it works like an all-in-one. I use a Grapplers Hitch to close strap around tree--I could use a Dutch Clip or carabiner. Almost everyone who has ever left a tree strap on a tree when breaking camp puts the strap through its own end loop. And by its nature must detach suspension from hammock to get it off tree. After wrestling hammock into stuff sack some campers forget strap still on tree.
    And a suspension that works like an all in one and stays attached to hammock will prevent that frantic rummaging through pack as darkness and raindrops approach. We lose small things more than large things. Suspensions are getting smaller and lighter. If your tarp suspension is attached to your tarp, then you are less likely to lose or misplace it--same with hammock and suspension.
    When you go to a group hammock hang, you will see all kinds of suspensions--and they all work. Good luck and have fun out there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Blue Poly
    Insulation
    Too many pasties.
    Suspension
    Home made
    Quote Originally Posted by HikingTheWhites View Post
    I just picked up some tree hugger straps and whoopies from Dutch to cut down on weight from my current ENO setup (double nest with Atlas straps.) I didn't order a Dutch clip to connect the strap around the tree because I just planned on sliding the end of the hugger through the sewn loop on the end of the hugger. I tried this last weekend and it works fine. Am I missing something? This seems simpler, lighter and cheaper than using a beaner, clip etc. So why does everyone use some extra hardware?
    I am on my second year, on the same gear doing the same thing, no defects yet.
    Hanging out in da UP.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I use a soft shackle of amsteel that is attached to the loop on my tree strap. Run the strap around the tree and free end of the strap through the soft shackle, then a marlin spike hitch. I found that running the strap through the loop put a lot of tension on the strap and i had to work it loose to take my straps down. No big deal, just a little annoying. Always assumed that was why folks used clips or biners.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast