WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring

VIDEO: Appalachian Trail...Hwy 19E to Watauga Lake

Last weekend 2 friends and I did a section of the AT in Tn. We left one car at Watauga Lake on Hwy 321 and then drove south to Mountain Harbor Hostel on Hwy 19E and left our other car and started hiking. It was a good trip with some rocky sections and long pulls. The last day I think we did a 4 mile climb and then around a 4 mile decent to the lake. We had 1 small bear encounter. Watauga Lake shelter was closed due to high bear activity and also the last day we heard there was a fire in the same area and the trail was closed. These both were north of our trip so they didn't pertain to us and we never got a confirmation on the trail closure. I hope you enjoy watching.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I recognize that trail
    Interesting how the water was running so much clearer for you.. it was brown for us. Gives me an idea of how much rain must have occurred before we did our hike.

I believe John's bear story. Was that on your second night? I swear i heard one at that spot but I chalked it up to an active brain. I was sleeeping with my food as my bear rope got caught in the tree.

And what the what! That whole part about Sasquatch had me laughing. You are ready for your own TV show. Fess up on what you were eating - cause it looked convincing to me

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Great vid Firebird. I did a short section at Watauga Lake a few years back and a Ranger warned us to be on the lookout for a bear. We did not see one.

Looked like you guys had very pretty terrain most of the time. Thanks for sharing your trip.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I recognize that trail
    Interesting how the water was running so much clearer for you.. it was brown for us. Gives me an idea of how much rain must have occurred before we did our hike.

I believe John's bear story. Was that on your second night? I swear i heard one at that spot but I chalked it up to an active brain. I was sleeeping with my food as my bear rope got caught in the tree.

And what the what! That whole part about Sasquatch had me laughing. You are ready for your own TV show. Fess up on what you were eating - cause it looked convincing to me
    Hey Paul, yeah the water was real clear, we didn't even get any sediment it our filters

That was our second night and we were north of Dennis Cove Road a piece, could have been the same spot as we saw a rope hanging in the trees there. I'm sure John was accurate, I was just zonked out from fatigue.

Well I was eating Squatch poop. The little fellow had been eating dung beetles and that was what threw me. We need to plan another trip together and I'll bring some for you to try. I think "Thumbs" might like them too.

As always Paul, Thanks For Watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
    Great vid Firebird. I did a short section at Watauga Lake a few years back and a Ranger warned us to be on the lookout for a bear. We did not see one.
    From what I hear, that area has always been popular with bears. It was good to see you at Yates, Chigger, and glad the axe muderer left you alone. Thanks for watching!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for taking us along friend.

One thing - I don't think I want you doin the cookin the next time we hike together.

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Looked like you guys had very pretty terrain most of the time. Thanks for sharing your trip.
    For the most part the terrain was pretty good but the last day after we left the falls it was a steady climb for 4.5 miles. You just take them as you get them. Thanks for following along.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Thanks for taking us along friend.

One thing - I don't think I want you doin the cookin the next time we hike together.
    Come on Pappy, you know you'd enjoy it, just wash it down with some stove fuel. Thanks Pal!!

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Thanks for sharing the trip Firebird. Did you really chew up that piece of Sasquatch leavings?

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    Thanks for sharing the trip Firebird. Did you really chew up that piece of Sasquatch leavings?
    Thanks for following along JSH. That stuff is really good for the digestive system!??

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Nice video. That wuz some smallish Squatch drop'ins for sure, but definitely did look pretty tasty...

I hiked 321/Watauga Lake to Damascus 'bout three or four weeks ago now. The Watauga Lake shelter was definitely open and in use. No bears to speak of either.
    I hope to do from Hughes Gap back up to Watauga/321 as my next section south, here in a week or so...

u.w.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast