Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjackrob View Post
    I think danner is looking for advice on the hammock he already owns. Not everyone has the funds to just buy a new hammock.
    Yeah I made my own to save money. I made everything. The tree straps, whoopie slings, soft shackles, tarp, bug netting. It was fun. I'd guess I have maybe $50 in the hammock. The UQ I bought easily cost me more than all the stuff I made combined, and I only bought it because it looked like I wouldn't save much money and from what I understand baffles and down can be difficult to work with. Seeing the quality of the WL UQ, I'm glad I spent the money.

If my own hammock was an absolute failure, I would absolutely spend $200 to have a comfortable sleep system on a thru-hike. But I believe my hammock will work because I've laid in it and it's comfortable. I'm just the noobest of noobs at trying to put the whole thing together. I'm thinking I may delay my weekend excursion to next weekend and spend this weekend practicing the setup.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Delaying your trial run may prove to be a very wise decision. Keep practicing at home, it's much easier. Be patient, you'll get there. You spent a good amount of time making all your gear, now spend at least as much time learning to set it up and enjoying it!

Someone else already suggested shortening the hammock ridgeline about 4-6 inches. That sounds like a good first step.

Move the tree straps up at least 6 inches higher, and a foot would probably be better.

One thing you wrote that I don't understand was when you said you wanted to keep the hammock ridgeline close to the tarp ridgeline when you're in the hammock. Why?

If you're trying to get fuller coverage with the sides of the tarp reaching the ground, wouldn't you just bring the tarp ridgeline down rather than the hammock up?

If it's not storming, I think most of us hang a tarp several feet above the hammock ridgeline.

Regardless, you're working through the issues. I think you'll quickly figure it out with a few more tries.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123