Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Give in to the peer pressure man.
    Ring/buckle set-up is the way to go. Works great on my HULB.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=ring
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Give in to the peer pressure man.
    Ring/buckle set-up is the way to go. Works great on my HULB.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=ring
    Unfortunately I didn't have any luck with that method. I just have problems with the rings slipping. I tried every suggestion possible to resolve it. Now, I just don't trust it. It also adds extra weight, which I don't like.

I will always choose less weight over convenience. Since I have been able to get my pack down to 20lbs for a 3 day trip, including food and water, I want to keep it there.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't have any luck with that method. I just have problems with the rings slipping. I tried every suggestion possible to resolve it. Now, I just don't trust it. It also adds extra weight, which I don't like.

I will always choose less weight over convenience. Since I have been able to get my pack down to 20lbs for a 3 day trip, including food and water, I want to keep it there.
    Did you try a slip knot with the excess straps? Mine puts me on the ground everytime I forget to add it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    I imagine that would work, but I don't think I tried it.

I bet square buckles would work much better.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

I had the same problem with rings when I tried them.

Don't underestimate the value of making some sacrifices for convenience...what seems like luxury in mild conditions can quickly turn to necessity or even life-saving when things get bad. JMO.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Well, after all this I think HH has it down to a science. I am going back to the original technique for tying and using the 42" straps. You need a lot more strap to do a 4-wrap.

I spent about 1/2 an hour playing around with the different techniques and feel pretty good with the HH technique. My only concern is the wear on the tree hugger loops.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    I used a Double Sheet Bend on my ring supports. A little stronger and thus, won't slip. http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/sheetbend.htm
    Make your double sheet bend slipped by passing a loop rather than the end under the second time around. This works with webbing as well as rope. Being able to pull on the rope on both sides of where it passes under allows this bend to be undone quite easily even after dozens of nights in the hammock.

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    I used a Double Sheet Bend on my ring supports. A little stronger and thus, won't slip. http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/sheetbend.htm
    Funny. I'd been using the slip sheet bend and thought that it was something original!

I'll second hacktorious on the simplicity factor (and the weight savings!) It just seems to me that the more you introduce into the hanging system the more there is to go wrong.

The HH knot is just an old fashioned cleat lashing, using one side of the tree-hugger strap and the hammock rope as the two cleat horns. It's simple and has been holding large heavy things up for several millennia. It also does not slip. What's not to love?
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images
    i like the tree strap and cord combo. a bowline should not slip if you set it properly, but it is hard to adjust.

you should try out one of the variations of the sheetbend. its one of the easiest and fastest knotts to tie.

i tie my cord to the straps with a single sheetbend finished with two bights. tie a single, but finish the last step with a bight, then set the knot, then i pull on the free end as if to pop the bight. and just before it pops, insert a second bight. last, cinch the first bight down the rest of the way so it locks onto the second one. two stiff pulls on the free end unties easily after being weighted, and slippery cord like spectra/dyneema has never slipped, unless i had forgotten to add the backup bight.

i like the single sheetbend because it is the fastest knot to tie that i have found, and it unties instantly.

like someone said before, it can also be used to join two ropes, although i have never done this, but i've heard it works well. but since hammock lines are so small, i would definately look for something that was easy to untie. water knot, fig 8, fishermans are all common knots for joining two lines, but i would hesitate to use any of them on small diameter lines.

someone on the yahoo group a year or two ago said something to the effect that:
    as for knotts, you can take as many as you need and yet they weigh nothing. you can never lose a knott, you can share them with friends, and they are free.

My preferred knot is the speer 4-wrap. I use a HH backpacker. I am wondering if anyone can suggest some good knots for connecting the line on the hammock to the tree hugger.

Typically what I do is make a double-figure-eight-loop on the end of the tree hugger. Then I tie the hammock line to the loop in the tree hugger with a bowline-hitch. I then tie the tree huggers to the trees with a 4-wrap knot.

I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion for knots to use for the purpose of tying the two lines together. One issue I have is that the figure-eight is nearly impossible to untie, and I am wondering if it is possible for the bowline to come out while I am in the hammock.

I am thinking a water knot or something might work for connecting the two different types of ropes.

Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast