Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Double layer is unnecessary, at least for insects, in my opinion because there are very few times you will be without some insulation underneath you. I didn't find it too help much with a pad either, but most seem to.

You could go wth an unattached bugnet, this would also eliminate the need for a double layer. There are a few different styles of these, up to you to pick which will work best for you.

10' or 11' will be decided based on your height. Most hammocks of either length are around 60" wide. That's starting to change with the newer 72" wide materials.

I'm pretty firmly committed to a double bottom – it will take a pretty good argument to change my mind on that.

I don't intend to be out in sub-freezing weather; probably not below about 40, though I'll for sure experiment some. I already have a selection of insulation to try out in a double bottom in moderate temperatures. Lots of posts by people who are happy with pads. I sleep warm, so think it will work for me. Doesn't cost much to find out, anyway.

Also, this will be my spot for my daily afternoon nap, so insect protection will be needed but not insulation during the whole summer. (I'm an old retired guy. I nap.)

I'm not big; 5' 10” , 150 lb. So deciding between the 10' or 11' is just a matter of is the bigger one more comfortable and will it work on my stand.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Penultimo View Post
    Post #58 shows a WBBB on the Vario stand and there are other similar pictures in the same thread and in threads linked to by this one. The pictures seem to show the stand extended very far and the suspension lines at a very shallow angle.
    Yes, that is exactly how I would set up my WBBB with a stand - but NOT between trees. The angle has to be shallow because the arms of the stand will flex when you get in. You would have to hang any integrated hammock with a structural ridgeline that way. If you go with a stand of that kind and a Hennessy, you'll see.

So, I expect the Warbonnet, Hennessy, and any other hammock with integrated bug net to perform similarly on the stand, right? Do you think it makes a difference whether I try a 10 foot or 11 foot?
    If you go with Hennessy, rather go with 11'. I had the chance to lie in an 11' Deep Jungle, and it felt smaller than my 10' WBBB -- but certainly way smaller than any other 11' hammock I have used. If weight doesn't matter, get the Safari. That is one comfortable hammock!

Double bottom: So I can easily use my current sleep pad and/or Exped Multimat as insulation on cool nights and for insect protection on the bottom on hot summer nights.
    Don't expect too much from a double layer hammock. It will give you a bit more protection from mosquito bites, but it is not 100% bug proof. Especially if don't wear sleeping clothes. If you really can sleep without insulation, you might want to either treat your hammock with Permethrin or use something like an underquilt protector (without an underquilt). The UQP works more effectively against mosquitos than the second layer of the hammock, because it leaves space between the UQP and the hammock.

Lots of posts by people who are happy with pads. I sleep warm, so think it will work for me. Doesn't cost much to find out, anyway.
    I haven't heard many (any?) people say that they prefer a pad after they have used an underquilt. Most of those who say they're happy with a pad have simply never used an underquilt. But there's no harm in trying it. Most do before they upgrade to an underquilt. By the way, especially if you sleep warm and sweat a bit, an underquilt will be more comfortable because it breathes. I sleep very cold and don't sweat much, but with pads I always had a humid back.

At least 10' long, maybe 11. Lots of the integrated net hammocks I see are short or narrow or both, and most don't have a full double bottom (some have a narrow sleeve for a sleep pad but I want room for my wide Multimat or a wide foam pad.)
    Which hammocks did you look at?? Virtually ALL cottage hammock makers offer double layer hammocks in 10' and 11' - or any other length you specify. Many will make your hammock as wide as you like, only limited by the fabric. I actually don't know any hammocks with only a pad sleeve. In case you didn't already see their websites: Warbonnet (10' and 11' hammock with double layers), Dream Hammock, Hammeck and Simply Light Designs all build very nice integrated hammocks. Dream Hammock, Hammeck and SLD will build your hammock in any length, width and as many layers as you like.

I'm not big; 5' 10” , 150 lb. So deciding between the 10' or 11' is just a matter of is the bigger one more comfortable and will it work on my stand.
    Most people your size and many who are shorter prefer 11'. I'm 5'4" and I love my 10' WBBB - but for a normal gathered end hammock I like 10.5' or 11'.

After a lot mental wrestling with myself, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Hennessy Deep Jungle in the 10' length.

Decided to go with the 10' after doing some fiddling with my stand and the hammock I have – measured the amount of flex when I enter and figure that with the milk jug trick, the shorter tarp is more likely to work without having to support it with something other than the stand.

I have several different things I can try for insulation, first being an Exped Multimat. It's 40” wide and (I think) 72” long, like a very lightweight full size blanket, windproof and with a small amount of insulating foam. I've seen a post here by a guy who tried it and he said it worked well in moderate temperatures.

I understand that a UQ is better, but $199 for netted, double layered hammock with tarp, suspension, and snakeskins, and free shipping, and I can try out several different insulation things that I already have … that's about the least expensive I figure I'll find for a full outfit.

Skeeter Beater Pro is not double bottom, Byer Moskito Kakoon is only 9' long, BIAS is very inexpensive for single hammock but adding the things I want adds up quickly, Bliss Sky Bed is the one with a sleeve for sleeping pad, Clark might be my second hammock but I'll take the cheaper lesson first ... Claytor, Lawson Blue Ridge, etc., I have checked out everything I could find.

Thanks to all for the guidance and assistance. I'll let you know how it goes in a few days.

Got the Deep Jungle yesterday. Been raining forever with more to come and didn't want to mess around in the rain for the first set-up so hung it on the stand under the patio roof.

Fits the stand just fine. Now that I see it in action I understand the part about the arms flexing inward causing sag – just shortened up the suspension to account for it and hung it with a very shallow angle like those in the other pictures. Suspension angle then measured right at 30 degrees when I was in it – although I'm not sure that really matters in a hammock with a structural ridgeline.

It only got down to 48 degrees last night and the Multimat between the bottom layers and a 40 degree down bag kept me cozy.

Turns out an 11 foot hammock would have also worked just fine on the stand … probably would have been more comfortable and certainly more roomy, but I am happy as can be with what I got. If it ever stops raining I'll head out to the woods for a real trial.

Thanks again to all for your help and guidance; you have taught me a lot.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    With a proper 30° hang angle the suspension length has no effect on the hammock.
    That should be true, but for some reason when I'm hanging in my basement from the joists, it's just not as comfortable. That attachment point is nearly 8' high, so we're talking about a LONG suspension. Also, if the suspension is very short, it will swing faster which is a bit annoying if moving around alot (cooking, organizing gear on ground below, etc)

Suspension angle then measured right at 30 degrees when I was in it – although I'm not sure that really matters in a hammock with a structural ridgeline.

It DOES matter! Too shallow of a hang angle and you'll put an inordinate amount of stress on the SRL, even if the angle is not severely shallow. Notice that most SRLs are not as heavy as the primary suspension and not intended to equally share the weight/stress. A little fudging wouldn't be noticed in the short term.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12