Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Possible foot end mod on a channel hammock

I keep playing around with an idea to try on the foot end of a hammock. It's probably already been done, and if it hasn't I'm not sure it's even beneficial.

My idea is to create a channel on the foot end wide enough to run some 3/4" - 1" non stretch webbing through. This webbing would be sewn to the hammock body near the exit points of the channel for a few inches to keep the webbing from sliding in the channel. In between the 2 points that this webbing is secured to the hammock body would be a length of webbing about 4"-6" that the rest of the hammock end would gather on. The webbing would have loops so you could attach your suspension to.

My idea is that when suspended the 2 outside channel ends would meet in the middle, but the middle section would sag down, and hopefully eliminate any calf ridge.

Worth pursuing? Already done ? Any perceived benefit at all ?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Probably be better served whipping the foot end, and varying how you accomplish that. If you pull the edges father out than the middle when you whip the end you'll likely achieve the same results.

On my cat cut Streamliner (the end are longer in the middle than on the edges) hammocks I run continuous loops thru the end channel and connect both ends of it to a biner. Acts somewhat like a mini spreader bar but all the fabric is tight. I don't know if what you want to try would act the same, or if you would end up with loose fabric, which I doubt.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    That's one of the birth places of this idea. I had issues with my first stab at the spreader bar staying stable, and I wanted something a little more backpacking friendly.
    Last edited by geneaut; 04-26-2016 at 06:52.

The only thing that freaks me out about it is that I don't trust the stitching to hold. especially when my weight isn't evenly distributed. I couldn't find or generate any feedback from those who've actually tried it for more than just a test hang. I dont see why you couldn't just use a CL and loop each end over a MSH toggle given the stitching holds up.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    The only thing that freaks me out about it is that I don't trust the stitching to hold. especially when my weight isn't evenly distributed. I couldn't find or generate any feedback from those who've actually tried it for more than just a test hang. I dont see why you couldn't just use a CL and loop each end over a MSH toggle given the stitching holds up.
    The stitching holding partially bugs me also. It's one of the reasons I was bouncing the idea around here first before attempting it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I think it's worth trying. There will be strain on the fabric near the stitching. That concerns me more than the stitching itself. Cut your fabric a foot longer and fold the foot end back 8" or so and sew it down. Then make your hammock end as you propose, just using doubled fabric. Make sure the doubled area extends 3 or 4 inches past your sewn strap. If you want to keep the weight down, you could accomplish the same reinforcement by sewing large triangles to double it just at the corners. Good luck! Let us know how it works.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I think it's worth trying. There will be strain on the fabric near the stitching. That concerns me more than the stitching itself. Cut your fabric a foot longer and fold the foot end back 8" or so and sew it down. Then make your hammock end as you propose, just using doubled fabric. Make sure the doubled area extends 3 or 4 inches past your sewn strap. If you want to keep the weight down, you could accomplish the same reinforcement by sewing large triangles to double it just at the corners. Good luck! Let us know how it works.
    I like your idea of doubling up the fabric.

Reinforcement patches are another good idea. Maybe some pack material would be a good spot patch.

Thanks for the encouragement. If I get some sewing time tomorrow night I'm going to see what I can come up with.

Trying to follow this one because I am making a new hammock also. Want it to be a gathered end but looking for a little twist just to be different.

So for this one if I understand it right if you laid it on the floor and stretched the foot end out, it would be approx ten inches apart (limited by the attachment to the webbing). Between those 10" the rest of the material on the channel could "slide" back and forth between the sewn ends?

Thermorest has done this with their Slacker hamkock. Here is the review on Ultimate Hang.
    http://theultimatehang.com/2014/09/t...single-review/
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast