DH Darien, Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip.
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggle

Advice on Asym Tarp Ridgeline Length for 11ft Hammock

Looking for some advice regarding an 11ft hammock and an Asym tarp.

I emailed Hammock Gear regarding their suggestion on an 11ft or 12ft ridgeline with an 11ft hammock and they suggested I go with a 12ft ridgeline.

What are y'all's recommendation for ridgeline length for an Asym tarp over an 11ft hammock? Pics do wonders also as I am very visual.

Look forward to hearing everyone's input!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forest
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I would have to agree, but add at least a 12' ridgeline. I like knowing if its about to go raining on me all night, I at least want to be dry! Now with an 11' ridgeline on an 11' hammock, you got very little overhang on the ends, so i err on the side of caution.
    I have GT Funky Forest, and that things is giant...too big often times, so i am actually shopping for a new tarp myself. We just camped Friday night and had a thunderstorm blow in, and I didnt have to worry because i was over the end of my hammock at least a foot on each end. Peace of mind is worth a lot to me!

SM

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like you got good advice from HG. Even with a hex tarp, I prefer my tarps to be 1' longer than the hammock they're supposed to cover. Many people here use 11' tarps with 11' hammocks, but their tarps often have doors which help keep their hammocks dry in bad weather. With an asym tarp, you not only don't have doors, but you also have much less coverage on the ends than a hex tarp would provide. So 12' sounds adequate.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Longer the tarp the higher it is above the hammock as the tarp ends will eventually come in contact with the hammock suspension. So I use an 11 foot asym tarp just to get it more close to the hammock. My 11 foot hammock has a ridgeline of about 9 foot so I the 11 foot asym tarp gives plenty of coverage along the length.

Its the side blowing rain that will spray in off the tarp edge. I get dual use of my MLD rain skirt and hang it off my hammock ridge line on the head end to block any of the spray. But that's only in pouring rain with wind. Everything stays dry even though it looks very open. I have to put my gear in a very small area under the hammock to keep it dry. But just some things to think about when going with a smaller tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    DH Darien, Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip.
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Longer the tarp the higher it is above the hammock as the tarp ends will eventually come in contact with the hammock suspension. So I use an 11 foot asym tarp just to get it more close to the hammock. My 11 foot hammock has a ridgeline of about 9 foot so I the 11 foot asym tarp gives plenty of coverage along the length.

Its the side blowing rain that will spray in off the tarp edge. I get dual use of my MLD rain skirt and hang it off my hammock ridge line on the head end to block any of the spray. But that's only in pouring rain with wind. Everything stays dry even though it looks very open. I have to put my gear in a very small area under the hammock to keep it dry. But just some things to think about when going with a smaller tarp.
    Thank your for the pictures! That helped a lot with seeing coverage for an 11ft asym with an 11ft hammock. My SRL on my 11fters are about 9ft also.

The plan for this tarp isn't for weathering severe storms. Ideally it's gonna be a fair weather tarp I carry and can deploy if it does decide it wants to rain on me. Florida sun showers are strange beasts.

If I'm expecting severe weather I'll take my hex w/doors instead for the added protection.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my 11' tarp over my 11' XLC. Always works well.
    Shug

[/url]

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I use the HG Asym with both 10.5 ft and 11 ft hammocks without issue. I've always been pleasantly surprised what it will weather. I tend to pitch it right on top of my ridgeline as well, as in shug's pictures. I've never gotten wet that way just a different approach than a hex tarp.

Hammock
    DH Darien, Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip.
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is my 11' tarp over my 11' XLC. Always works well.
    Shug
    Thanks Shug. Your YouTube channel was extremely informative when I was first getting into hammock camping/backpacking a year and a half ago. I still look forward to your uploads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallorne View Post
    I use the HG Asym with both 10.5 ft and 11 ft hammocks without issue. I've always been pleasantly surprised what it will weather. I tend to pitch it right on top of my ridgeline as well, as in shug's pictures. I've never gotten wet that way just a different approach than a hex tarp.
    Thats what I like to hear! I'm glad to see people are using an 11ft RL asym with 11ft hammocks. I too try and pitch as close to the hammock ridgeline as possible, and I feel a 12ft asym would make that near impossible to do.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    After a few years with a very minimalist diamond tarp on my Hennessy, I think that the fear of "sideways" rain is slightly overblown. I've never gotten wet from rain, however I've been slammed with rain hard enough to get a little bit of splatter off of the ground, which sucks if you're not using an UQ protector. That being said, making an Ad Hoc grizz beak with your poncho (if that's how you roll) is a simple way to resolve this, along with setting up your tarp close and low.

Take a look at the Wind Haven or the smaller Asym tarp from SLD. He's super fast on custom work.

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/423
    Last edited by michigandave; 05-01-2016 at 08:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast