Little Shop of Hammocks Swift
    Tarp
    LSOH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Stealth blanket
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Squeezing out a few more degrees

I got out for the first time on my hammock last night at a nearby park that has dedicated camping sites that require 1-2 km of hiking to get to. It was intended to be a test of my kit and to start getting used to this fantastic new way to camp. Unfortunately, the weather did not agree with my plans and pushed me to my limit. I bailed at 2:30 AM after only getting about 30 minutes of sleep... the heated seats in my car only 15 minutes away won out over my fortitude. It was a good test of the temperature limit of my setup, and showed me some areas that need improvement. The temperature dropped to 0 degrees Celsius (I was actually okay when it was just a couple of degrees warmer) and it rained all night. Thankfully there was no wind to contend with.

Ultimately, I was cold. Not frost-bite/hypothermia cold, just too cold too sleep. My toes just wouldn't warm up, and the rest of me was just chilly enough that I couldn't stay comfortable. There are some obvious changes to be made, I need to streamline my UQ and my TQ has some leaks (it is designed to be either a blanket or a TQ so it has some holes when in TQ mode).

My current setup is a 3 season TQ and 3/4 length UQ, as well as a Reflectix foot pad. Would a thin CCF like this be enough to keep me warm into the low negatives?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    It was in the 80's (F) here in GA today, lows overnight in the 60's

Don't forget some staying warm hacks like a heated Nalgene bottle in your hammock with you, and also the hand/foot warmers are effective for cold feet. Y'all can keep that cold stuff up there in Canada! Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Synthetic or down insulation? It might help regardless...maybe

I try to avoid anything between me and my UQ. Remember, your body heat is what gets trapped in the insulation and keeps you warm.

You might be better served with this http://theultimatehang.com/2013/02/d...eather-shield/
    Helps keep your heat in the quilts, I feel better than a ripstop UQP. It's also my go to UQ mid summer, when an UQ is to much

As jp said, hot water bottles work wonders. Probably do more good than a pad. Don't be afraid to experiment with bottle placement. Between the legs is universally recommended, but I've had better results under my arms
    Last edited by goobie; 04-26-2016 at 19:30.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    A hammock sock will probably get you another 10°, also if your using down make sure it is lofted all the way and the down is evenly distributed. A thicker base layer to sleep in would also help. Eat something right before bed some hot cocoa or the like, 30 jumping jacks...
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    20* down quilts rule the nest in them temps
    I would not recommend a sock for fear of moisture build up within and on ones quilts in them temps....just my opinion.

Keep testing, playing and improving
    Enjoy the joys of a Hammock
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Celebrate the fail! Look how much you have/ will learn from it. Plus it makes for a great story, especially to the non-outdoors people in your life.

Images
    It is really important when you are close to an UQ's rating that you have it adjusted perfectly so no heat escapes at the ends.

A very inexpensive solution to help seal the end is a breathable underquilt protector. You can buy one from 2QZQ or make one yourself.

hth

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I just bought a 1/4 inch pad from GG, similar to the one you linked to, for exactly the same reason.... Just to get me over the 3am chills....it's so light, if laying single layer doesn't work, I can double it up by folding it in half...all
    for next to nothing in cost or weight... I say buy it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The reflectix probably isn't enough for your feet - that's where I'd put ccf. Take johnspenn's advice and take a hot water bottle to bed with you. You burn a lot of calories trying to heat up a footbox just with your feet. Start out warm, and you'll be better able to evaluate heat loss through your insulation. I have some 1/8" evazote pads that I've tried to use (single or double layers) to supplement thin underquilts, and that doesn't work for me. The pads are just the wrong shape to put in a hammock. They wrinkle, pucker at the edges, and don't stay where you want them. YMMV. Don't discount hammock socks, but before you go that route, follow OutandBack's advice, above.

One other thought: after you fine-tune your insulation, do the same for your metabolism. Eat something before you go to sleep. You may sleep okay until 4 am and then wake up with a cold butt or cold feet, but if you've done all the other things right, at least you'll know for sure that it's the insulation that needs fixing.
    Last edited by WV; 04-27-2016 at 07:17.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Feet. One area where I don't mind going overkill. Either a hot water bottle or light socks+booties. I don't like to rely on a water bottle, but sometimes it's the only thing that will warm up cold feet. Cold feet will keep almost anyone up at night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast