so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Here is the article:
    I believe I can paste photos of it (if not Mods let me know and I can remove).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Have to say that I agree with Benson Burner on this. I'm glad hammocking is a niche thing. As soon as the masses get a hold of something it generally turns to crap. Let the secret of hammock comfort out and every bonehead in the world will be hanging stuff from trees.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    After reading the article, I think it does a good job of summarizing a lot of the mistakes that can drive folks away from hammock camping after a first-time experience. If they can teach in an entertaining way, it's a win for everyone.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I must be really lucky,my first hang was in a cheap Chinese gathered end with an integral bugnet.

A bit too tight but still comfortable and I did a bit of research after Xmas 15/16 and found this forum.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    It's hammocking, not brain surgery! I simply cannot understand what is so hard. Sure, as hammocking has evolved we have many new trinkets that could take some explaining, but the basics isn't any more difficult than tenting; shelter, insulation and space are needed no matter which you use.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Thanks for the article l, just goes to show how important testing your gear is. You'd think the writer, who sounds like a seasoned backpacker, would have tested it out a little better.

Every day is a good day.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    Thanks for the article l, just goes to show how important testing your gear is. You'd think the writer, who sounds like a seasoned backpacker, would have tested it out a little better.
    And that was kind of the problem I had with the article. Being published in a national rag, generally people think of you as an "expert". If an expert has that bad of an experience then my odds of success are far less likely, and you'll note in the article that she mentions she'd used the hammock before car camping. Again, giving the air of having a clue what to do. As some said above I suppose that is a good thing. Fewer idiots in hammocks screwing it up for the rest of us. Just another example of how our society has to sensationalize something to find it captivating, useful or entertaining.

Oh, and I've always told folks an expert is just an old drip under pressure...ex-spurt.

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Snusovic View Post
    It's hammocking, not brain surgery! I simply cannot understand what is so hard. Sure, as hammocking has evolved we have many new trinkets that could take some explaining, but the basics isn't any more difficult than tenting; shelter, insulation and space are needed no matter which you use.
    As a noob, I can tell you that there are two things that aren't at all obvious:

1. Laying diagonal.
    2. Whups, my 20 degree bag Does Nothing when I'm hanging in mid-air and the bag is crushed between me and the hammock. And my pad is too narrow and/or made of Entirely The Wrong Material to stay between me and the hammock.

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    Maybe I'll change my mind on this, also it may seem a bit elitist, but here I go:
    I like that hammocks are a niche thing. Is that wrong?
    I like that not everyone does it. I like that there isn't many advertisements in backpacker. I still love my tent!
    I have several rad ones. But My base will for ever now be hammocks, as far as I can see.
    I don't know, I just like exactly where hammocks are right now, I am not opposed to different points of view, I'm sure my stance could be swayed, but for now, I love the off beat-ness of hammocks, and hammock camping.
    I definitely agree with you on that. I don't think it's elitist. We have some amazing cottage vendors here and the more people hanging, means more success for them, which I am all for. However when it becomes "mainstream" that's when all the (insert expletive here ) come out. The hammock community seems to not only care about hammocking, but each other and the outdoors as well. It's when everyone is out there doing it is when the problems arise.

In the article, surprised she would go out in questionable weather, on a 53 mile loop with gear that hasn't truly been tested and by herself. Possibly putting yourself in the position for the story?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My first hammock adventure was about 48 years ago. I was in a Boy Scout troop. I went to the local Army surplus store and got a heavy duty oversize indestructible poncho--that was multi used as my tarp. As an after thought I got a nylon Army surplus? net---that would be my hammock. I strung it up between two trees on a Scout camping trip. I got in hammock and sleeping bag somehow and was very proud of my handy work and knot rigging capabilities.
    I knew nothing about hammocks---And by morning I was doubled up into a U-shape and butt on the ground. Very uncomfortable no diagonal at all.
    I gave up hammocks for almost 50 years.
    There is a steep learning curve and looking back--it was great fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast