Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Blackbird may not be for me...

So I recently purchased a warbonnet blackbird 1.1 double. I'm 5'10" and about 145. I've tried everything I can do and have spent hours on this forums looking for solutions. Except for wishing my ENO Doublenest was 11" it seems more comfortable to me.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a new hammock? I'd like to upgrade. If nothing else, I think I'll upgrade the suspension and straps on my ENO.

Don't get me wrong, Brandon and Warbonnet Outdoors are awesome! I really like my superfly, the blackbird just doesn't seem to work for me. I get less calf ridge in my eno that I do in my blackbird and it's unfortunate to say the least!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Raise the foot end, is what I always hear for people getting calf ridge in the WBBB. I spent one night in a WBBB and had significant calf ridge. That was about the time I gave up on hammocks with integrated bugnets entirely and went to simple, gathered-end hammocks with a Fronkey bugnet. I haven't looked back or had any regrets. Right now I'm using a Dutch hammock.

Hammocks with integrated bugnets just don't appeal to me. I like to leave the bugnet net at home when I don't need it, and this weekend is a prime example. Daytime highs will be 60* F, with the lows about 40* F. That's not bugnet weather. Mosquitoes are lethargic at 60* F, and downright immobile at 50* F, so I just don't see the need for a bugnet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    The blackbird didn't work out for me when I tried it a few years back, never could get comfortable in. I've been very happy with my Hennessy, Dutch, and Hammeck hammocks and would recommend anyone one of them... I'm most comfortable in my netless Hexon 1.6 model. For one with a bug net dutch's half-wit just bumped the Hennessy from my pack for both comfort and weight, this what works for me...but if the double nest is working for you maybe just grab a bug net in your preferred flavor and same for suspension?

Another thing to note, I've encountered severe calf ridge issues in otherwise very comfortable hammocks as soon as I put an underquilt on. Takes a fiddling and scootching around to get rid of it

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Have you considered a bridge hammock?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird, 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream,
    Insulation
    Klymit Hammock V
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle Strap
    Dream Hammocks are generally held in high esteem for their comfort and lack of calf ridge...especially the 11 footers made using the HyperD XL fabric (extra wide).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Regarding the bugnet, I'm thinking the same thing and simply have a separate bugnet if needed.

I've looked at dutch's hammocks to have a little longer hammock!

I have looked into bridge hammocks. I've read good reviews through the forum... Im just not sure that I want to deal with the extra poles and setup. I would also need the pole mod for my superfly. Trying to keep my costs down so I can spend more on other gear!

I may have to compare some of the gathered end hammocks that are longer. I like the nylon fabric of the eno. It's pretty durable (when I have my dog with me) but it is on the heavier side compared to other hammocks. Also looking to upgrade my suspension to dutch's titanium cinch buckles and tree straps with dutch clips and a bishop bag. Should speed up setup and teardown.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    idk487,

As Silvrsufr suggested, raise the foot end of your WBBB and don't be timid about it. My WBBB is most comfortable when the foot end is at least 8" higher and possibly more than 12" higher than the head end. Seriously, if you think your ENO is more comfortable than a WBBB, you have set it up wrong.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by idk487 View Post
    ... the blackbird just doesn't seem to work for me. I get less calf ridge in my eno that I do in my blackbird and it's unfortunate to say the least!
    Raise the feet and increase the angle of your suspension at both ends.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    idk487,
    Seriously, if you think your ENO is more comfortable than a WBBB, you have set it up wrong.

Good Luck
    Words of wisdom. I bet your first night in the ENO was far from perfect, or you didn't know any better.... My point being, try some different setups like the others have suggested.
    In the end, it might not be for you. There seem to be a small number of hangers it just doesn't work for

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    C'mon I have spent So many nights in an Eno snoring, it's hard to believe that no one else has had comfort in them. To me, hey they are great, my 4 year old loves his sub 7, my 8 ear old loves her single nest. I love my double nest. I have had too many cozy nights in the stormy roadless mountain tops to say different. It seems very out of vogue to like an eno. Maybe I'm just one of those guys whom could sleep upside down, I don't know, maybe ignorance is bliss. However the BB XLC is Heavenly, THE most comfortable lay I have ever had. And I just bought an expensive bed. The XLC makes it seem like cardboard park bench. I love my Warbonnet!!!!. I just think if you got a sweet lay in your Eno, then what could stop you from having a good lay in the BB. But I haven't tried one.
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast