Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie

30 degree weather, 20 degree underquilt, 40 degree bag

Looking at a trip where weather *may* get into the thirties. Trying to get off the ground. I have a 0 degree synthetic bag but it is bulky and heavy. Want to invest in a 20 degree Arrowhead New River full size under quilt. Leave zero degree bag at home and take 40 summer weight. I'm a noob, and even though heat rises am I correct in thinking bottom insulation is more important for a hammock. Can adjust up and down with sleep clothes, hit water bottles/hand warmers.

And maybe a sweet little sock from Dutch. That would take care of the bugs and be ok for non summer trips

Thanks

John

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It all depends on the weather. Whether you sleep warm and whether the temps only get into the thirties. Personally I sleep cold so I always have a 10 degree buffer. So if temps have a chance to get in the 30's then I want a 20 degree set. You can always make it work it just may not be as comfortable as you would like.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Keep in mind, there's no one size fits all answer here. It all depends on YOU and how warm or cold YOU sleep. You are absolutely correct, bottom insulation is much more important. It's got nothing to do with heat rising though, it's convective heat loss from air moving under you.

I would be fine with that setup. Add a couple hot water bottles, I prefer them to hand warmers, in wool socks and you should be fine.

To save yourself some money you could get a 3/4 length Jarbidge UQ. The savings could be used for a TQ. Just a thought...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Thanks for the replies...

With an under quilt I feel like I am the meat in a taco. Surrounded on 3 sides. Figured I could skimp on the TQ a bit for now.

Yes, considering 3/4 Jarbridge. Would toss the $50 bucks at the Dutch argon sock with mess panel. 3 season bug / wind protection.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    you should be fine with your plan. for the temps you mention, the gear matches up dandily. a few more clothes to boot, just in case.

i would encourage a full length UQ if possible. with it, you can let off the extra clothes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    This is a misnomer I hear often quoted. Heat doesn't rise. Hot air rises. Heat just radiates.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I agree with your basic premise. If you are going to skimp on one or the other, good bottom insulation is more important. I think I would be fine with the setup you mentioned, but everyone sleeps differently.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
    This is a misnomer I hear often quoted. Heat doesn't rise. Hot air rises. Heat just radiates.
    Thanks. This was an older post. We have been out a few times with this configuration but lug the 0 degree synthetic bags. A bit of weight but luxurious sleep.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I have the Arrowhead New River 3 season Underquilt and it's great. I prefer to have the full length of my hammock covered. I have only had 1 field test so far but with an old synthetic 30 degree bag and a t shirt I was good into the high 40s. I know that's not quite the conditions you asked about but I felt that with additional layers I could have gone much colder and been just fine. You must give your setup a backyard run in as cold of conditions available to you so you can gain confidence in your kit. I am just waiting for the next cold snap to push the envelope farther. Yes my wife thinks I'm crazy but I don't care. When it's go time for my next section hike I'll be ready.

• + New Posts