Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy delux asym
    Tarp
    DD tarp
    Suspension
    stock HH

Newbie in outdoor fabric world needs help.

I'm new to hammocking and to sewing my own gear. With the resources being so limited in Finland what comes to underquilts (only thing they sell in here is DD underquilt) I came to conclusion that I will only get what I want with doing it by myself. That has brought new problem to me though. I don't understand anything from the fabrics and since only option is to order them from online store I can't even go and get touchy with the fabrics when I could "read" them to figure out if they are good or not.

So this is the place that I can use to order my stuff http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/. What fabrics would be good from there for the underquilts...and topquilts too. With the underquilt I'm aiming to do something that goes through all three seasons so with that I would need some tips also with the climashield how to pick that so that I get it done warm enough. I have tried to read stuff from here to figure these things out but apparently the information just doesn't click in. So I would be really grateful from any help with this stuff so that I would get the hammock out properly on this year.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Try ripstop by the roll. They have it all, and very helpful descriptions of the fabric as well. If you email them with any questions you have I'm sure they will answer them for you. They also have underquilt kits that have all the materials you need in one easy package.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0 Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I feel your pain. We could really use a shop that sells hammock-related DIY fabrics.

I don't know what the customs charges are like in Finland, but for Germany I'm almost always better off when ordering fabric in the US (mostly with Dutch and Ripstopbytheroll). For Germany there is 150 EUR customs threshold. If the value of the order (including shipping!) is below 150 EUR, I only have to pay 19% VAT. Above 150 EUR it would be 8% customs plus 19% VAT on top. They don't charge me anything else, but that may be different in your country.

So why order in the US? Because the light downproof fabrics can be had in more colors and are cheaper, even though you have to add shipping and customs (but you have to order cleverly). For example Dutch sells two lightweight downproof quilt fabrics:
    Argon 90 - 0.9oz/sqy (30.52g/sqm) - $7.50 per yard
    Argon 67 - 0.67oz/sqy (22.72g/sqm) - $10.00 per yard
    If I would order 140 EUR worth of fabric plus shipping, the price per meter would approximately be 10€ for the Argon 90 and 14€ for the Argon 67. Of course the price varies depending on how much you order, because shipping depends on the weight. Still, ExTex only offers two equally lightweight fabrics: a 27g/sqm ripstop for 15,90€/m and a 22g/sqm ripstop for 24,90€/m. Even the 35g/sqm fabric is more expensive than the Argon 90 with 11,40€/m. And the ExTex prices don't include shipping. Plus the color choice is very limited. The 22g/sqm fabric is only available in black, the 27g/sqm fabric is available in black, yellow and red.

If you don't mind a bit more weight, I guess the best fabric from ExTex would be 38g/sqm (1.12oz/sqy) nylon taffeta for 8,90€/m - although Ripstopbytheroll sells its calendared 1.1oz ripstop for $5.40 per yard. It would likely be in the same price category after shipping and customs.

For ExTex fabrics suitable for down quilts, simply search for "downproof".

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0 Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I only just saw that you mentioned Climashield. I'm not sure if you need downproof fabric in this case. You might be able to use any fabric, although I wouldn't use anything elastic. If you want a bit protection from the wind, use calendared fabric (like e.g. this one).

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    An European alternative to ExTex for quilts are these offers:

http://ukfabricsonline.com/index.php...Nylon%20Fabric

It is not the lightest material but the quality is imo excellent. I'm very satisfied with the bottlegreen (it's more pastell dark olive grey than bottlegreen!) and the black material. I used it for CS quilts. But also for down quilts I would buy it again.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I feel your pain. We could really use a shop that sells hammock-related DIY fabrics...
    Hmmm...I'm the IT dept for a fabric store chain (in the US) and I still have to buy my hammock related material from Dutch and RBTR. The hammock camping market is too specialized and really isn't that big. Aside from some notions, about the only thing I've found in our store useful for hammocks is 1.8mm blind cord, which is great for whipping. Oh, that and lots of grosgrain in all colors and various types of elastics. Even after employee discount and added shipping, it's usually still less costly for me to purchase from Dutch and RBTR.

Hammock
    Hennessy delux asym
    Tarp
    DD tarp
    Suspension
    stock HH
    The reason why I try to stick inside EU area is that I have that custom fee issue when I order from States. If I order within EU region that problem is solved for me. That is main reason why I chose climashield instead of down also since I don't think the down they sell in extremtextl site is water resistant and fall is really wet time in here with a lot of condensation issues. Plus that it probably is better to get bit more sewing experience before starting to tackle down project lol.

Thank you for the tips, I think I at least get something started with these.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I recently made a top quilt can make a post on it if you like

I used the taffeta from germany, its an amazing quilt fabric quite tough but lightweight l love it

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/N...sqm::1518.html
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Hennessy delux asym
    Tarp
    DD tarp
    Suspension
    stock HH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    I recently made a top quilt can make a post on it if you like

I used the taffeta from germany, its an amazing quilt fabric quite tough but lightweight l love it

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/N...sqm::1518.html
    Oh that would be great! Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Maybe have that relative here in the US send you a birthday gift... or 4.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast