Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Nate, you'll probably catch up with us. I expect we'll be taking it slowly and just enjoy the area. There is one spot where we may take a break off trail and you wouldn't be able to see us. If we do that I'll set up a hammock near the trail as a flag to let you know we're off to the right by Forcyth Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    Nate, you'll probably catch up with us. I expect we'll be taking it slowly and just enjoy the area. There is one spot where we may take a break off trail and you wouldn't be able to see us. If we do that I'll set up a hammock near the trail as a flag to let you know we're off to the right by Forcyth Creek.
    Thanks, see you guys out there All packed and car's loaded.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Running way behind on post from the shoot today, so will not be able to do a day hike tomorrow. Man, I was so hoping to be on this outing. Have fun you lucky dogs and please, please, please let me know of future outings.........gary

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Ok. Where are the trip reports? I need my vicarious hammock fix!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    Ok. Where are the trip reports? I need my vicarious hammock fix!
    I've been so swamped at work that I haven't had time to post anything. I ended up not taking any photos at all, my wife took some and Nate took quite a few. I'll try to get something up later today.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I agree with E.A.Y.. I'm running out of hammock YouTube videos to watch.

My first hang trip report: Fantastic!

Lake Spaulding, Tahoe National Forest, North of 80 and 20

From the trailhead off Bowman Road, we started on a wide trail and soon passed a huge pipe and waterfall, which I think is a conduit to regulate snowmelt from Fuller Lake to the powerhouse near Lake Spaulding, not sure. Greg can clarify. We passed through oaks and pines with Spaulding Lake to our right, up and down granite rocks of moderate ascents and descents, and eventually followed Fordyce Creek, which was more like a roaring river from all that snowmelt. I don’t remember seeing any deer. No bears. One rattlesnake.

At our rest stop, a group of girls came by, spotted Greg and said, “You’re the guy in the video!”. Ha!!! Instant celebrityhood! complete with picture taking. They had used his Lake Spaulding youtube video to do this hike. Awesome!

1.the fans.jpg

2.merja and greg.jpg

By Nate’s mapping thing, we hiked 5.2 miles (is that right?) and found a perfectly hidden spot near the creek, with good hanging trees, clean cold water, a fire ring and plenty of privacy. Though we were right near the trail, it was hard to see us. I was given the best spot to hang, Greg showing me how to set up the hammock and net, and Nate helping me with the tarp. Thank you, guys!!!! Because of all the assistance, the conversion from tent to hammock didn’t seem as overwhelming anymore.

3.near lake.jpg

4.all 4.jpg

As we sat around the campfire for dinner and stories, we discovered one of us was originally from Finland, another from Vietnam, a third from the Philippines, and two from here in the West. Our coolest member though was Thunder, a huskie/german shephard mix of a sweet and affectionate temperament. As soon as darkness fell, we all shot to our hammocks or tent and slept soundly to the sound of rushing water.

5.around campfire 3 *.jpg

6.thunder.jpg

The next morning, while everyone was around the campfire, I went to my hammock to sit and organize my gear. I gathered the hammock in one hand and lowered my behind down onto what I thought would be fabric but unfortunately turned out to be air as I had overshot the hammock by a lot and flipped backwards, hitting my head on a rock! But all was well. . . . except my ego : )

Hiking back it started to thunder and shower, though we had already gotten the best out of the weekend.

Forgot to say, I slept very well in the hammock!
    Last edited by Acacia; 06-25-2016 at 01:40. Reason: added location

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Great trip report Acacia! Yes, Greg is kind of like a celebrity but usually Thunder steals the show. Wish I could have made this one. Hopefully another one will be planned.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Awesome report. Thank you for writing it up.

That's actually the 2nd time I was recognized form one of my Youtube videos. Actually, the first time was on the Stevens Trail when a woman said "Look, It's the dog from the video! And the guy who made the video."

So maybe Thunder is the actual Youtube celebrity.

Among the things this trip showed me is how much I need to get out more. I really miss being out in the woods and I certainly need the physical conditioning that entails. It was a wonderful trip and it reminded me why we all do this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567