DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    unobtanium.....
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Ah HA!
    I was thinking of the Grand Trunk Hybrid Shelter ($70 USD). Derek himself reviewed one back in 2009 for BackpackGearTest.

Derek's actual review from 2009

Derek's more recent comments (which interestingly enough say that the feared pool-of-sweat didn't happen during his testing)

Seems like this might pair well with DD's Superlight Jungle Hammock since that's intended to be a tent-capable hybrid with the caveat that it only comes with 1 water proof layer (so that can have a waterproof top or bottom, but not both unless you buy an extra layer or use another tarp).

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Tadpole 132 inch
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    Just checked it out, kind of neat. Seems like it's mostly a tarp and perhaps if the goal was just to hang out the hammock set up would be fine.
    "Keep your stick on the ice!"
    -Lumberjackrob

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings

Hammock that's also a tarp?

If memory serves, MedicineMan had a combo he liked. Called it a dirigible or something like that. Hangnout made It but said it is MM's project. His video is from 2012. It's in the forums under weather protection I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WebbingSlinger View Post
    Ah HA!
    I was thinking of the Grand Trunk Hybrid Shelter ($70 USD). Derek himself reviewed one back in 2009 for BackpackGearTest.
    And that was probably the last positive review (or any review) of the Grand Trunk Hybrid Shelter. One would be lucky to find a negative review by Derek of any hammock. Condensation is also very personal. At higher temps, you might not have any. At lower temps, it's almost guaranteed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It was made years ago an called the all terrain hammock by Grand Trunk. I got one but it was heavy as it was essentially a 70D Pu coated tarp with a channel end on each side. It was their early work but I doubt they make them anymore, they were three panel and of course you would sweat in them...
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Hybrid-Shelter
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I found the MediceneMan & HangnOut's dirigible thread. Now that's an interesting design! https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Out-Dirigible

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    And that was probably the last positive review (or any review) of the Grand Trunk Hybrid Shelter. One would be lucky to find a negative review by Derek of any hammock. Condensation is also very personal. At higher temps, you might not have any. At lower temps, it's almost guaranteed.
    I'd have to agree with this. As much as Derek's book helped me getting started, I've come to realize I can't rely on his product reviews. He tends to look for the positive in any hammock and focus on that. He also seems to be able to get comfortable in hammocks a lot shorter than I am willing to tolerate.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by WebbingSlinger View Post
    I found the MediceneMan & HangnOut's dirigible thread. Now that's an interesting design! https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Out-Dirigible
    Based on MedicineMan's recent YouTube videos he or his wife Poof are still using it. You can see it in a video from this March.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. As much as Derek's book helped me getting started, I've come to realize I can't rely on his product reviews. He tends to look for the positive in any hammock and focus on that. He also seems to be able to get comfortable in hammocks a lot shorter than I am willing to tolerate.
    Some of us sleep fine in shorter hammocks. It's the old HOH. At 5'10 my first hammocks were 9 foot long and I slept well. My current is 9 1/2 feet long and I still sleep well. A 10 foot ridgline tarp is fine with this hammock. I close the ends like doors when it's stormy and I don't get wet. Like HangCon this past January. I was dry.

This is me. Others prefer longer. It's a personal thing. Since I sleep well now I see no reason to move to a longer (heavier) hammock and tarp.

I have a fried who tried hammocks and prefers a tent and air mattress. I don't understand it but that is him. Poor ground dweller!

Derek is a positive person who looks for the good in things so he reports the good things in reviews in gear. Always take any review from anyone with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BearBurrito; 05-06-2016 at 10:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast