Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    i like earth tones. i prefer the ambient glow of either gray or dark olive. easy on the eyes, neutral and not too dark. i used to be a tent camper and had a bright orange tent. i spent a week in NC in that thing and it rained every day. after the second day that orange hue was on my last nerve. lol i sold it and bought a dark green tent. so, my hammock is a dark olive outer, charcoal grey inner and my tarp is a dark olive. i can crawl in during the middle of the day and pass right out. good stuff.
    Hahaha interesting, glad you found some colors that work better. Maybe this topic would be more suited for tent campers.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Hunter orange with some flashing lights and a small bell on the ridge line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabasaki View Post
    Hahaha interesting, glad you found some colors that work better. Maybe this topic would be more suited for tent campers.
    it applies to hangers as well, especially tarp colors. some folks like bright colors others more subdued and some folks go full camo ninja. all depends what works for you. that tent was an orange prison. it poured on us that trip, so the only time we were outside was nature breaks for two days. ugh. i'll never have bright colored material between me and sky ever again!!
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Hunter orange with some flashing lights and a small bell on the ridge line.

Hey, atleast hunter orange is better than RED, SCIENTIFICALLY.

Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    it applies to hangers as well, especially tarp colors. some folks like bright colors others more subdued and some folks go full camo ninja. all depends what works for you. that tent was an orange prison. it poured on us that trip, so the only time we were outside was nature breaks for two days. ugh. i'll never have bright colored material between me and sky ever again!!
    How do you think you would feel about a sky blue color?

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabasaki View Post
    How do you think you would feel about a sky blue color?
    a sky blue wouldn't be too bad. blues are good colors. it would prolly be kinda nice especially early morning. while your studying color, look up the history of blue. it's kinda cool. edumacated folks think blue is the most recent color we were able to see. they aren't sure if our ancestors simply couldn't see the color blue or simply had no name for it. interesting stuff.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I dunno why blue is best. The last light of the day is red. That might tell the brain that the day really is over, and it's ok to tuck in. Green supposedly enhances daytime productivity or something, but blue? I could be wrong or wright. How does artificial lighting reflecting off colored tarps affect our sleep? Great thread.

Good idea to have a different color hammock vs. underquilt. I have a light colored hammock, which I see little of, b/c I'm a back sleeper in a hammock. (I only toss/turn side-to-side in a bed, when I sleep in one).

If you get up in the middle of the night when Nature calls and think you might get lost getting back, I'd go with the Robin's Egg Blue tarp.

When sleeping under a full or full-ish moon, a lighter color tarp will be like a giant light diffuser. I say stay away from the Poly-cryo tarps (colorless transparent shrink wrap film)--that distracted me on bright nights and a small hole or tear will run like mad. When I switched to a medium brown Warbonnet Superfly for the last 1200 miles of my hike last year, I slept much better than with the clear tarp.

For hiking in the desert, a black tarp will be useful, as you can use that to create a shady sanctuary (if Nature doesn't provide) to chill during the hottest part of the day. Yeah, you're in Minnesota and you don't have any deserts, but if you ever decide to tick off the Pacific Crest Trail or the Continental Divide Trail off your bucket list...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Hey how about a Poly-cryo hammock so you feel like you're floating

I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    I like grey or black for the hammock body but only for very scientific reasons.

Reason being when I wake up in the morning and bury my head from the daylight, it still looks like the inside of my eyelids.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I'm partial to Charcoal Gray and/or Hunter Green myself, but MamaSmurf prefers the Navy Blue or Deep Purple.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    I dunno why blue is best. The last light of the day is red. That might tell the brain that the day really is over, and it's ok to tuck in. Green supposedly enhances daytime productivity or something, but blue? I could be wrong or wright. How does artificial lighting reflecting off colored tarps affect our sleep? Great thread.

Good idea to have a different color hammock vs. underquilt. I have a light colored hammock, which I see little of, b/c I'm a back sleeper in a hammock. (I only toss/turn side-to-side in a bed, when I sleep in one).

If you get up in the middle of the night when Nature calls and think you might get lost getting back, I'd go with the Robin's Egg Blue tarp.

When sleeping under a full or full-ish moon, a lighter color tarp will be like a giant light diffuser. I say stay away from the Poly-cryo tarps (colorless transparent shrink wrap film)--that distracted me on bright nights and a small hole or tear will run like mad. When I switched to a medium brown Warbonnet Superfly for the last 1200 miles of my hike last year, I slept much better than with the clear tarp.

For hiking in the desert, a black tarp will be useful, as you can use that to create a shady sanctuary (if Nature doesn't provide) to chill during the hottest part of the day. Yeah, you're in Minnesota and you don't have any deserts, but if you ever decide to tick off the Pacific Crest Trail or the Continental Divide Trail off your bucket list...
    Very good considerations! Now the whole topic is too confusing for me! The Robin Egg Blue is admittedly a very nice color to look at, but I don't think it's that helpful if it will reflect light from the moon onto my face! I was in the deserts of Utah and Colorado for the first time about a month ago and it was great! That's another good considertion.

As for the colors not making sense in biological logic...I agree. I thought blue was supposed to keep you up at night and keep you from producing melatonin. It's kind puzzling to me that what I thought would be good (red) is supposedly not that good? But the Robin Egg Blue is a very relaxing color to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by dickstarbuck View Post
    I like grey or black for the hammock body but only for very scientific reasons.

Reason being when I wake up in the morning and bury my head from the daylight, it still looks like the inside of my eyelids.
    Hahaha, you know...it's a good point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast