Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

90 degree/ netless build

anybody done a 90 degree or a netless build, or know if there are any buildalongs for these style of hammocks,
    also want to set it up for underquilts and bug net and tarp etc
    full winter/ fall camping outfit!
    6'2" 190 lbs

all help much appreciated
    cheers
    wayne

oops- sorry about the double post!

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF fujiimo!

You will find a wealth of information on the forum. A good way to get what you're looking for is to do a search with the key words of '90 degree hammock'. You can choose to search the DIY section or other sections depending what you want to do (buy or build). There are plenty of discussions on that subject to learn from...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    Im just curious about exactly what you mean by 90 degree? If you mean a right angle hammock I started a similar thread a few days ago re: amok and exped and got some great information from WV who has experience with right angle hammocks that use a multi cord suspension that is very interesting. If that is not what you mean by 90 degree please forgive my intrusion on your thread.

yup thats exactly what i mean- and absolutely no intrusion mate
    will try some searches
    thanks
    wayne

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps
    WV has some great ideas along this line. I use a 13 x 9 diy tcf hammock. I've often thought while sitting in recliner mode that if I just had a foot box I could lay flat and be totally sideways ie 90 in my hammock. Then I saw the amok and wow. So I asked and WV replied. He used a series of cords on the sides. I was thinking about clews and nettles would work also. The exped looks good but amok looks to adjust more easily with the straps. If they made the draumr in XXL I'd be in one. If I can figure out the straps I'm gonna diy one soon as I finish my canvas big bridge. I love making stuff that makes gram weenies cringe lol. I posted a drawing of an idea on the other thread a day or so ago.

absolute weight saving, is not my first priority- i am happy to carry ann extra pound or two- knowing i am going to sleep well.
    that amok looks great- just a hefty ticket!!

these guys do a very simple right angle hammock
    http://www.tiergear.com.au/28/make-your-own-gear

surely this can be built on, with a double area for a pad, a foot box and a way to attach an underquilt and a bug net ??
    any ideas anyone?
    thanks

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If you are going for something like the Amok design or similar be sure your sewing machine can handle it before you start. There will be a lot of sewing in webbing etc. and it’s a tough job. I am not saying it can’t be done but it can kill/damage household machines.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

thanks for the heads up mate, i do have an industrial machine, a left over from my days in the industry.
    i hadnt mentioned it before, but i had two factories, one making life jackets and all sorts of associated rescue and safety equipment for the white water rafting, bungi jumping and search and rescue industries, and we had an equestrian clothing and equipment manufacturing set up as well.
    i sold both these businesses about 10 years ago- and have NO desire to return to clothing( etc) manufacturing again, was in it for over 20 years- but i did keep a few machines for personal use when i sold.
    now i would just like to build myself and my family a few hammocks for camping etc- hard to buy something, when making stuff is so ingrained in you.
    many thanks

just trying to shortcut the R and D stages of making these hammocks, i dont have the time to dedicate to that, and besides there is so much good info on here, and very knowledgeable, experienced people, that i really dont want to go through the whole learning stage with this process. just wanting to build a few, tough simple and practical hammocks that will give a true flat lie. absolute weight saving is not a priority, but rather comfort and durability!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast