A Hammocking Good Newbie

OK all you hammock hanger's out there. Just what you have been waiting for, a newbie wannabe hammocker out here wanting to be convinced that hanging is the way to go.

This summer, as every summer since 2000, I did my section of the AT and encountered a couple at a shelter. Husband slept in the shelter while the wife was a hanger. Both in their early 60's and she had a number of physical limitations (i.e. broken back and neck, bad knees, etc) that limited their ability to hike many miles in a day. But, none the less, were out there giving it hell. She said that her hammock was the only way she could go as it allowed her a good night's sleep that a hard surface or the ground wouldn't.

I didn't really get into what type hammock she had but from my recollection, I'd bet it was one of the Hennessey models. So, this pretty much sold me and convinced me that this was a direction I needed to head in.

Now, what do I need from you? Wish I knew exactly what to ask. So, I'll start with what do you think is a good hammock to start with? Consider that due to job commitments, I'll pretty much be hiking a two week stretch anywhere from the last week of July up to perhaps the first week of October on the AT and I am presently in Central Virginia and headed North.

Secondly and knowing that practice makes perfect, how long after you decided to go the hammock route did it take you to get proficient at set up/take down, so that when you set it up, you could sleep all night comfortably without dragging the ground and/or getting wet in a rain storm.

Lastly, anything you might want to throw in there that experience taught you.

Thanks to all and I am looking forward to your responses.

Fat Man Walking
    VA to VA - 07

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Start by making a Risk TestHammock www.imrisk.com. It takes about 10 minutes and $10 just to see how to get comfortable. If you like it, upgrade. Hennessy and Speers seem to be the most popular high-end models, and there are a few mid-range models like Claytor and Byer. Depends on how much you want to spend.

I think it took me 5-10 hangs to figure it out. You can do that in a day just to get the knots and stuff down. After that, it's just experience in choosing the good sites. There really isn't a time limit on that...after one or three "real-world" sites you'll probably see how everything works well enough to be creative when you have to work around a less-than-ideal site.

Best experience - test your exact setup (or very close to it) at home or somewhere with a bail-out plan before you're in the field with no other options.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Really study this forum as well as White Blaze on all aspects of hammocking. I'm kinda a newb myself but I feel as if I have much more experience than I really do from studying what others are doing. Test out your gear at home. Welcome to the hangin mafia.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    There is a wealth of information here and whiteblaze. Also check out Jeffs site, Sgt Rocks site, JrB site, and all the other ones I cannot think of right now. And don't be shy about your questions there is more than enough experience here to answer most any question you may have.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

• + New Posts