Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Pan, I notice you carry a lot of clothes to sleep in. Is this normal with winter hammocking? I know it doesn't apply to winter tenting.
    Ewker,

I don't necessarily sleep in all the clothes items cited... the ljs and top are normal (they hold the first thermoclime)...hats are normal for quilt users.... all the other is "available"...

BTW, many tenters also sleep in ljs and wear caps.... their set up, ground cloth, tent, winter pads and 10 degree bags usually come to more weight...

FWIW, most ULers will carry lighter bags and supplement with clothes since they have them anyway.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ewker - I'd like to highlight what Pan said, "most ULers will carry lighter bags and supplement with clothes since they have them anyway." So sleeping in extra clothing IS normal in a certain style of winter camping. It's not a "hammock vs ground" thing, it's a "lightweight vs traditional" thing.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Hangman, et al,

My set up for 15-25 degrees is

HH ELR, 16 oz
    JRB Tarp w/ lines and ti ul pegs, 11 oz
    JRB Nest w SS, 21 oz
    JRB No Sniveller, 20 oz
    JRB Old Rag Mtn, 24 oz
    ( Removable back pad of pack
    11x20 inches)
    JRB compression sacks 2, 2 oz

Total 78 oz 4.88 lbs

Note , if I went out expecting 15-25, I'd be prepared to go 10 more below that.

Add JRB Weather Shield Top and Bottom at 9.4 oz each for a total for single digits as 97 oz or 6 pounds.

Camp clothes to sleep in; include, fleece lj & top, wool socks, fleece balaclava, JRB Down hood and JRB Down sleeves (worn as foot covers), and possum down gloves... All of these items are in the winter pack for camp use anyway.

Pan
    Pan, did you use the nest and ns as 2 under quilts in that set up? i'm trying to get comfortable to 20-25 range. i have a nest and 20 degree western bag. i also have a wm blue pad that 24 inches wide. i have not used that in hammock yet. i was wondering about moisture if i use that.andbody else please feel free to leave suggestion

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Pan, did you use the nest and ns as 2 under quilts in that set up? i'm trying to get comfortable to 20-25 range. i have a nest and 20 degree western bag. i also have a wm blue pad that 24 inches wide. i have not used that in hammock yet. i was wondering about moisture if i use that.andbody else please feel free to leave suggestion
    Hangman,

Yes, For temps below 30 it is time to double up....or use an ORM as the under quilt .... Personally I prefer to double the bottom w/Nest and No Sniveller quilts and use the Old Rag Mtn quilt on the top.... Easier to just have one quilt in the hammock... ( and Yes, I am aware, as a ULer that two ORMs would do the job for less weight... the four season set is more common and I like to use what others have, so that they can see the flexibility of the set by the varying seasons).

If I were to use a full size pad, esp one that is 24 inches wide, I'd use it inside the hammock and work the condensation and back sweat accumulation as it occurs (worse for some than others).... placing a pad of this size between the hammock and Nest will mostlikely result in air pockets or stress on the Nest causing thin spots.... Recommend using the WM as a top quilt, venting as necessary to avoid over heating.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    What do you all think about using a few bungee cords to keep the pad against the bottom of the hammock so it does not weigh down the underquilt? I could attach to the underquilt suspension.

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    What do you all think about using a few bungee cords to keep the pad against the bottom of the hammock so it does not weigh down the underquilt? I could attach to the underquilt suspension.
    Thats interesting idea Arkwater let us no how it works!!

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    I was wondering if anybody used the hennesy super shelter set up with the nest. weather shield and pad under hammock and nest under that. that would take the pad out of hammock for more comfort,and possibly cut down on moisture from sweating on pad. i think the weather shield and pad together weigh 13oz. any thoughts?
    Last edited by Hangman; 10-26-2006 at 18:19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12