Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I thoroughly enjoyed your article. I am new to the hammock camping world and will be taking my first trip in 2 weeks. As I'm sure everyone has I have always over prepared for a trip planning for the just in case that never happens. I think instead I will use your checklist idea and see how things work out. Seems like a good system...and besides if I don't like it I can always go back to taking the kitchen sink with me right?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    That's a good read.
    I'm always looking to cut what I don't need so I can carry more food/booze.
    That means I don't have to make a food run too often.

I mostly go motorcycle camping at a particular gold panning spot so I take a sluice and matt and a bucket n pan.
    Wet clothes are a biggy for me and of course loads of liquid(far to little booze I'm afraid)

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i just finished a winter-to-summer gear change.

ditch the nalgenes for the platypus.
    swap the siphon filter for the gravity feed.
    swap zero degree full length UQ for 3/4 20 degree.
    thin spare clothes.

this is a pretty good start for my rig....

cheers,

sv

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Great article and absolutely spot on!! I haven't been an avid hiker/backpacker for most of a decade. My life got busy and I got lost. My love for the outdoors is reborn and I often prefer to sleep outside, even at home. As I have recently discovered hammocks, the annoyance of being hunched over on the cold ground inside a tent have gone and my wanderlust has returned with a vengeance. As I researched and upgraded my gear, I find myself with more stuff (and a bigger credit card bill). As I pack, think things through and repack time and again, I find myself having lengthy talks with the wanderer in me about what I really need versus what I THINK I need. I feel like a rookie all over again. lol Last year my pack was nearly , if not over, 30 lbs. This year it's down to 20lbs or less. I continue to refine my stuff knowing better what goes in the pack and what stays home. Thanks for this article, as it is a validation to me that what I have gone through is an evolution of experience, and ultimately, I'll be fine without the extra "just in case" items. I really enjoy your articles and the spirit behind your blog!! Keep 'em coming!!
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Nice job on the article. I don't use a checklist of what I use/don't use, but just use a large plastic storage container where I put the variety of gear that I bring (quilts, tarps, backpack are separate anyway based on season). When I get back from a trip, I just make a mental note, then when I pack for my next, I lay out what I think I need, then go through item by item about what I really need to take.

Heading out next week for a 4 day trip, so I'll be laying out everything this weekend. I know I always pack way too much food, so, I'll start there....

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Heading out next week for a 4 day trip, so I'll be laying out everything this weekend. I know I always pack way too much food, so, I'll start there....
    I hate food!! Well no, I love it, but hate how it gets bulky and heavy SO quick. A simple pack of poptarts for each morning, few tortillas, small bag of gorp, few packit gourmet meals, cheese sticks, crackers, jerky = 4lbs and a full 10L sack! And that's simple, lightweight eating. If I ate like I usually do at home, I'd be hauling a 15lb sack of food.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I hate food!! Well no, I love it, but hate how it gets bulky and heavy SO quick. A simple pack of poptarts for each morning, few tortillas, small bag of gorp, few packit gourmet meals, cheese sticks, crackers, jerky = 4lbs and a full 10L sack! And that's simple, lightweight eating. If I ate like I usually do at home, I'd be hauling a 15lb sack of food.
    this ain't far off the mark for me as well.

add mike&ike for the pockets.........

and milk duds...

sv-

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I just discoverd instant mash by magi.tastes really great,comes in 3 varieties and get 3 meals out of small pack.
    Also dehydrated mixed veg pack but getting hard to find in supermarkets now.
    We also have a local manufacturer call back country foods who do about 15 different camping meals.
    I get 3 serves from the double pack and I love to eat.
    They cost around $14 a double though.
    I also take oats in ziplock bag with dried fruit in it.
    Just have to learn how to dehydrate meats so I still have that for full homemade meals

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Me too. . .no matter how much I simplify I still have a ton of weight for food. It doesn't matter if it is dehydrated or not you still need to carry the water weight. . .

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    Me too. . .no matter how much I simplify I still have a ton of weight for food. It doesn't matter if it is dehydrated or not you still need to carry the water weight. . .
    water is often a constant variable for me. everyone else too, i wager....

i hike with Dewey [my scottie]. if i plan on camping on tops, then water has to be considered before hand, of course. pack it in, or, go down later. this all depends on source location. unless i'm dead sure i can short-hike after setting up, i pack it in.

AND, dewey loves water........

sv-

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast