diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out

Beckett Hitch - kevlar only or mule tape

So I had some 4 foot 3.3 huggers and AGG's 10' mule tape straps on my previous hammock for backpackin. Like the simplicity of the suspension. I used a Beckett hitch to continuous loops on my hammock. Well I'm putting together a new hammock and would like input on whether to go with straight 2.2 Kevlar straps (prob about 12') or 4' 2.2 huggers with a mule tape strap larksheaded on.

Any advice on why I should go with one or the other.

Furthermore is there any other options similar to this design anyone recommends

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    All Kevlar probably costs more and is probably lighter weight. And would be real clean and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    At less than two ounces, two 12' 2.2 straps sounds awesome. Have you had any luck using a becket hitch with the Kevlar phantom grappler? Ps. What's your little doohickey called that is made of amsteel and is used similar to a Dutch clip. Got a link?.. I'd like to incorporate it in the suspension

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    I used mule tape to continuous loops (also stitched of mule tape) with becket hitches. It was great until it rained. In about 4 hours, the mule tape became fully saturated and then wicked water all the way into my hammock two nights in a row! Maybe Amsteel continuous loops would act as a water barrier.

I have switched to 4' mule tape tree huggers, 12' Amsteel leads and DIY pills / speed hooks attached to the hammock with Amsteel loops. Now I have 1/2" of aluminum between rain water following the Amsteel and my hammock, and the Amsteel does not absorb water like the mule tape!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Woodsman x, various Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepp / UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    depends on mood
    I have been using 14" of mule tape wrapped around tree 3 or 4 times and straight to cont loop. I had a few nights in rain but all seemed well as i larks headed a drip line on. I have not had serious down pours yet so maybe that will change. I hope not as im really liking the simplicity of the mule tape Anyone else had moisture ingress with mule tape even using a drip line?

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    I used mule tape to continuous loops (also stitched of mule tape) with becket hitches. It was great until it rained. In about 4 hours, the mule tape became fully saturated and then wicked water all the way into my hammock two nights in a row! Maybe Amsteel continuous loops would act as a water barrier.

I have switched to 4' mule tape tree huggers, 12' Amsteel leads and DIY pills / speed hooks attached to the hammock with Amsteel loops. Now I have 1/2" of aluminum between rain water following the Amsteel and my hammock, and the Amsteel does not absorb water like the mule tape!
    Speed hooks would be ideal. If they ever come back ill switch to em. I used a small drip line and never had any moisture issues with mule tape. Not familiar with pills, care to elaborate

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + DIY Sniv
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Grappler
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Ps. What's your little doohickey called that is made of amsteel and is used similar to a Dutch clip. Got a link?.. I'd like to incorporate it in the suspension
    It's called a Grapplers Hitch. See this thread:

https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...ler-Suspension

Also, search for "Grapplers Hitch" on the forum to find more discussions.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by stan794 View Post
    I have been using 14" of mule tape wrapped around tree 3 or 4 times and straight to cont loop. I had a few nights in rain but all seemed well as i larks headed a drip line on. I have not had serious down pours yet so maybe that will change. I hope not as im really liking the simplicity of the mule tape Anyone else had moisture ingress with mule tape even using a drip line?
    I like the sound of this. Do you have a loop sewn in the mule tape? Or does the 3-4 wraps hold the tape in place w/friction?

Should prevent tree damage, if done right, too. I'm thinking 4-5 wraps would be ideal.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    So, I am using 8' Kevlar tree straps, Beckett hitch to a fixed loop in a 5' piece of amsteel leader which then attaches to the hammock CL's using a loop alien. Since trees are plentiful here in the NE I often skip the amsteel leader and go Kevlar to loop alien direct. It's a simple, elegant solution and it holds like a hot tire on Tarmac. The one and only downside is the the Kevlar doesn't easily adjust in the loop alien. I'm living with that.

Sent from East of Montauk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I use a Grapplers Hitch at tree end of Kevlar strap. Grapplers Hitch can't be lost from tree strap. So I'm not rummaging through my pack with darkness and drizzle closing in. And continuous loop is larks headed on strap. This all stays on hammock and never has to detach while camping even though it can detach---this way you never lose your suspension or any part of it. And you never spend any time looking for it. And if suspension is wet or dirty--pack hammock in its bag with attached suspension out side of hammock bag and stuff it in its own bag or even a spare sock--this suspension is that small and light and even more likely to be misplaced or lost. So I never detach it while camping.
    After adjusting continuous loop along strap--I tie a slip knot just below larks head in Kevlar strap. Tighten slip knot and slide larks head down to slip knot. As seen in YouTube video Carolina Red.
    The slip knot is tied in Kevlar and will Not Slip. And most everyone can tie a slip knot in the dark and drizzle after a long day at work and arriving at camp a little behind schedule. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast