Beginner spots near Hampton Roads?

Hi everybody!

A friend and I do everything outside together... fishing, archery, camping, heck, we even tried our hand at smithing. We have decided that this summer we want to get into backpacking and hammock camping.

We are looking for a relatively short overnight trail to start, just to test our gear and ourselves. We would REALLY prefer it if the trail led to either a river or lake where it is legal to fish. It would also be preferable if we didn't have to drive more than three hours. (Shenandoah is in our limit.) Both of us are relatively fit and have done day hiking before. We are both up for wading, climbing, etc. if necessary.

Does anyone know of any trails in the area that match the description we are looking for? If so, what permits would be required?

Thanks,

ZitoDragon

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Hi...the SNP has some great trails. I've been there twice so far...hope to get out there more. Was there maybe two months ago and did Traymont-Paynes Run loop. A five hour hike and camped where Traymont and Paynes Run met. Lottsa good water. Not sure how the foliage is now, but it was bare pretty much so could find good trees to hang from. I did two nights on Paynes Run.
    There are more trails for sure there....permits? Just sign in when you pay to drive the parkway. No fires though unless you are at the "family" camp sites.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I don't f/w fish but I think Paynes Run has trout. Reckon you'd need a fishing permit....

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Look into the Rose River Loop at Shenandoah NP...a little over 6 miles, 7 and change if you do the spur to see Dark Hollow Falls (I recommend you do, especially with all the rain we've had recently), it's a good beginner loop for backpacking. Pretty sure you just need to check in when you pay to get into the park, and probably a valid VA fishing license.

Another option, though the park isn't really for beginner-level camping, would be False Cape State Park...requires about a 3-4 mile beach hike through the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge to get to the park, but when I was there a couple months ago some of their campsites could work for hammocks. As for fishing, you'd have to check and see what they allow (maybe ocean fishing, but I don't remember anything about freshwater fishing). Definitely watch where you step when you get off the beach into the park though, as I was finding water moccasins on the park trails in late February!

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    You sure don't have to go all the way to SNP. Though that is definitely a real nice spot to go... Heck the area around Newport News Reservoir, York River State Park, Chickahominy, Powhatan, Pocahontas, the list goes on and on....
    Also, check out a site called hikingupwards dot com. Covers more than just VA, but for your purposes - it does cover VA. For the type of stuff you seem to be talking about - day trips & overnighters - it may be worth your time to check it out..

u.w.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Consider Lassiter Trail at Merchants Millpond State Park in northeastern North Carolina. It's roughly a 90 minute drive from most Hampton Roads locations.

http://www.ncparks.gov/merchants-millpond-state-park

Another possibility is the City of Chesapeake campground just off route 168 at the Virginia/North Carolina border.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    You've gotten some good suggestions. False Cap could fun provided you manage the bugs in warm weather. Another place that would be good for a first night or two out might be to use sites at First Landing. If you want to hike as a supplement to hanging, there are some excellent trails on the south side of Route 60. I tried First Landing a couple years ago this way. Wanted to try out my gear in moderate temperatures. The Park has Bay views, coastal forestland for camping and really pleasant hiking trails inland.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I can vouch for u.willie, obxh2o and JSH. All these areas are good, and Mill pond is a good backpackers trail.

• + New Posts