WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you just want to go to a local store, you can just get some small climbing rated carabiners. The camp Nano 23 biners are one of the smallest climbing rated ones available.
    Last edited by Bubba; 05-17-2016 at 10:52.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I third (or fourth or whatever we're up to now) Dutch Clips. Use both the sew-on ones and open ones and never had a problem. Used to use 'biners (Petzl Spirits) but one area where Dutch clips help is when you want to hang from a smaller diameter tree. With a 'biner you need a tree of at least 14" or 15" before it "lies flat" against the bark. With smaller diameter trees the clips sit better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on Camp Nano 22's. I prefer a good carabiner because it has multiple uses and the Nanos are climbing rated. I have seen and heard of too many straps getting torn/pierced from Dutch Clips, most likely due to user error, but still not something I want to deal with on the middle of a weeklong hike
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Images
    Looks like the general consensus is torn between clips and biners... I guess I could always try one of each on each end of the hammock to decide for myself! :P
    Homeschooling mom to 4 little ones (8 and under)... Doing my best to enjoy this stage of life

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    why would Dutch clips be a better solution than just running the strap through the sewn loop on the other end?..

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Utility and convenience. It's easier, and take's less time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    why would Dutch clips be a better solution than just running the strap through the sewn loop on the other end?..
    Doing it that way works perfectly fine, but it requires having to fully undo the straps from the cinch buckles so for quick ups and downs (my hammock time is pretty limited!) I am wanting something a bit quicker... not to mention if you have to reposition and run into a branch (or other obstacle) you can just unclip and move up vs. having to undo and redo everything with the buckles (again). My main (well, only) hanging point in my yard is a cedar along the old pasture fence line. LOTS of smaller diameter branches right where I want/need to go... since I am still fine tuning things with a new hammock it gets a bit frustrating at times.
    Homeschooling mom to 4 little ones (8 and under)... Doing my best to enjoy this stage of life

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    If you're short like me and invariably end up trying to hang between trees further apart than would be ideal, so you have to stand on the very tips of your toes and stretch high above your head to get your straps high enough to achieve the proper angle, it's Way, WAY, WAY EASIER to slip the Dutch Clip onto the other side of the strap than it is to thread the tail end of the strap through the loop on the other end. WAY EASIER.

And, even when not having to practically shimmy up the tree to hang my straps, it is just so much easier and quicker and more convenient using the Dutch Clips. If you ever try them once, you'll be hooked.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    sorry for my noobness but thanks everyone for the answers why a Dutch clip is better than using the sewn loop at the end.

and now for the $64million question, why are they better than a plain old carabiner?..

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    sorry for my noobness but thanks everyone for the answers why a Dutch clip is better than using the sewn loop at the end.

and now for the $64million question, why are they better than a plain old carabiner?..
    Because we all like cool Dutch gear and they are lighter then a carabiner

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast