Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

Trying to decide my hammock composition

Good morning,

I'm hoping to benefit from the collective wisdom of some great contributors here, and hopefully Papa Smurf himself. (I'll be happy to contact him through his website also, but there's more than one educated opinion around here I'm sure.)

I am struggling with choosing a hammock composition, my priorities are as follows, in order:

1) Greater than 265lb support (I'm 220 now and losing weight, but I don't want to fear my son or dog jumping in on me)
    2) Support (I'm a side sleeper at home and don't want to feel like overnight I'm sinking into a stretching sheet)
    3) Total weight and Fabric "softness" (These conditions are important to me, but I can compromise here a bit, tied for 3rd priority)
    4) Cost (This is going to be my main, go-to hammock so I'm prepared to pay a bit more if it means I get what I want, nobody likes spending more than they have to, though.)

Lastly, I'm open to double/single layer if it's going to get me the feel I'm looking for. I'm hoping for suggestions for Fabric Type and Layer count to fit what I hope to get out of my bear-burrito. I hope I've been clear enough to avoid the "only you know what you like" responses. I've seen several hammock sets now, and tried a few for a quick lie-down, but you just never know till you sleep in one.

Thanks everyone for any input and have a nice day.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks for the response Tacblades, I left that out of my post.

I'm specifically looking at the Dream Hammock Thunderbird (which is not available in Hexon). This post probably could have gone in the general channel, but I put it here because I'm sold on the Dream Hammock Thunderbird for it's customization and accessories.

Will be using underquilts and relying on the included bugnet. I'm leaning toward the 2.2Hex70 XL single layer, but don't know if it's as comfortable as a softer feeling double layer nylon. The Robic is a VERY interesting fabric and a double layer of it as an option is also an interesting choice.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    I like this style as its the most versitile and very lightweight.
    Perhaps your post would be more appropriate outside of the Dream Hammock sub-forum?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Perhaps your post would be more appropriate outside of the Dream Hammock sub-forum?
    Right PapaSmurf, I'm looking specifically at the Thunderbird. Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    265lb and rugged, i'd go 2.2 hex outer. for silky smooth softness, 1.6 hyper D inner. combined, you'll get roughly 500lb capacity. for side sleeping this combo in the wider fabrics is awesome. I have a sparrow with these fabrics and can't imagine a better combination. High comfort rating for a LOT of support, especially for side sleeping, minimal stretch, very durable. good stuff. it'll be a bit more expensive and heavier (my sparrow is roughly 3lbs), but it's a one and done type of hammock IMO.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    JmBoh, that is certainly a way to go. I'll have to consider my weight-to-comfort and decide how much I'm willing to compromise. Your option does sound like the ultimate for comfort. Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If weight saving is an issue, I know Randy will tell you that Robic is fine at 265#, as he has tested it at that weight. I am 240 and the Robic is awesome, very light weight, has a good feel, and is extremely durable FOR THE WEIGHT. If you want a sturdier, heavier weight fabric, the Hex70 is a 2.2 fabric that is extremely durable, but 2x heavier than the Robic. I have Sparrows in both Hex70 and Robic, the Hex70 is my winter car camping hammock, the Robic one is my 3 season short trip hammock. For my Lightest setup I have a Freebird in Robic that should be getting here tomorrow.

Double layer vs Single layer.. Personally I wouldnt get a double layer unless 1- you are going to use a pad for insulation, or 2- you need the second layer due to the weight you are putting in the hammock, and with the new fabrics available I think that one is slowly being phased out.

What Model to get? - I have 3 Thunderbirds, 2 Sparrows and a Freebird arriving tomorrow. Personally I think the Sparrow fixed the flaw in the Thunderbird (having to reach all the way up to grab the zippers) and is the best 4 season hammock available. Don't need the overcover for this trip? leave it at home. Cool enough that bugs arent an issue but not cold enough to need the overcover? Leave them both home.

No matter which way you go, you can't go wrong with a Dream Hammock, and Randy and Deanna will work with you to fine tune your selection to best fit your needs.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Am on tapatalk not easy to see which sub forum you are in.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    Am on tapatalk not easy to see which sub forum you are in.
    No worries. I hadn't considered tapatalk.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY APEX TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thanks humer91, that's good first-hand info. Do you find the Robic stretchy? I also question the durability of a single layer Robic for no other reason than my imagination. I think I can make up the weight by trimming elsewhere in my kit and go with a heavier hammock for my peace of mind. A cool-factor Robic hammock might make it on my Christmas list in a few years.

A single layer hex70 XL sounds like a good compromise to me, but I've got a few weeks till I can afford to place my order so I'm holding out for more discussion, not to mention sending an email to PapaSmurf for his input also. I'll also look more at the Sparrow v. Thunderbird argument.

Thanks everyone, and please feel free to contribute here if you have anything to add. This has been a great help already.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast