Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

Question hammock friendly sites at Grayson Highlands?

anyone ever stayed at Grayson Highland in an actual site not a group site? any recommended sites that will work for 2 hammocks? Do you think that they would allow two hammock guys to use the group site? i know they have trees for hammocks...

my other plans are busted due to being booked through to the end of August.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was there last year and we camped outside of the park along the AT.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Can't remember the number of the site, but there were quite a few that work along the road next to the group site (follow the roadway past the groupsite/bathroom as it goes to the right, there are multiple sites there that I know will work for hammocks). Technically they don't list a size restriction on the group site, though, so that could be an option too.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    I booked a site for two nights. I figure that if they did not have any that would work perhaps we could crash on the group site. I have been there before. thanks folks.

I would feel bad about taking a shower and stuff without paying but wow it is steep for a site there.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I think you will be able to find trees on your site or kinda on the edge of your site--
    One of my favorite sons booked us a site there--July 1,2,3 can you believe it. It's gonna be hot and crowded and my Grandkids will hammock and eat watermelon--maybe at the same time--watch out bears-here we come. I wonder if playing YouTube of hounds baying and barking will make a black bear turn and go the other way. Or maybe a few rocks landing on bear's nose would work--otherwise maybe I should sprinkle salt and pepper above my hammock and pray for a large bear that will kill me fast.
    And I think some campers camp on or near the trails--not sure of the "rules"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    It's never hot in Grayson Highlands.
    That's why it's so great for summer getaways.
    Drive a few hours away, gain a few thousand feet of elevation and drop 25 degrees.

Does anyone have some ideas for back country hammock and tent sites for a group of 10?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Images
    There aren't any "group sites" per se but there are a few areas with campsites almost side by side so you could make it work.

This area is probably the most scenic but also the most likely to have been nabbed by someone else
    36.667615, -81.511925
    There's water from a fenced in spring on the other side of the meadow

From the intersection of Crest/Pine/AT West to about here 36.654291, -81.531489 are loads of campsites. Sometimes you'll go a few hundred yards with nothing and then come upon another cluster. There's water from both the spring at Thomas Knob shelter and near Crest. My understanding is that boy scouts often camp around here and it is right on the AT. I've seen several hammocks out there but the tree type is much more suited to tents.

In Deep Gap, there's a blue blazed spur trail heading off the AT uphill to a nice camp about here 36.658597, -81.558148
    The trail goes through the camp and then back to the AT so you can find it from two directions. Further west along the ridge in the woods behind the campsites are other fire rings under the leaves and it would be fairly easy to make a spot in the woods of the main spot is taken or not big enough.

I've camped near here (36.651101, -81.469464) and it would have been fairly easy to put a big group of people around there. There was nothing established and no views, but the trees are fairly open and water isn't too far away.

The same is probably truer of Elk Ridge at about 36.651101, -81.469464. Lots of open trees and some fire rings close to the trail. Water is going to be about a half a mile in any direction though so tank up before you get into camp.

Thanks bud! I don't have a gps but I will use the intersections you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by sean5135 View Post
    Thanks bud! I don't have a gps but I will use the intersections you mentioned.

Another option is to plug the coordinates into Google maps and print it off.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts