WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B

Ridge line length

Does someone know What the ridge line length is on a blackbird extra long hammock?

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    A Warbonnet Blackbird XLC is 11' in length and per Brandon's description it has a ridgeline length of 111".
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Thanks, 2 Samuel 22. Also I have a standard length Blackbird, what about it's ridgeline length?
    I purcdayeddkkkk I have discovered others have talked about, however I missed the point. When I hang the angle is different than the originol lmaterialpl.

Aaabeen lzlll.
    Last edited by BillC523; 05-19-2016 at 12:48. Reason: Beens.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    Quite welcome BillC. Regarding the standard length (10') Blackbird the ridgeline is listed as 101". In either case the WB ridgelines seem to be a tad longer at about 84% of the OAL instead of the typical guidance of 83% RL length.
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Per Brandon's description of the normal BB hammock body is roughly 120x63" and the ridgeline 101".

I think Brandon calculates as follows: hammock body length * 0.833 + 1" = rl length.

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Thanks, I think mine changed when the suspension was changed from Buckle to whoopee slings. Changed back to original suspension, but the ridge length is longer. I could never get that right feel, did get it once when I had to hang between two trees that were to close. I going to try a ridge-line method that is adjustable. Last night, while trying to get comfortable hanging in the back yard, after the hang angle was close to 30-35 degrees on rear, not near that on front I loosed the suppension until the ridge-line was not taunt, even close to a sagging. Got back in the hammock. Had a comfortable ability to lay a little crossways without feeling constricted and at the same time the lay was without that ridge in the center of the hammock, always giving you the impression that your supposed to be uncomfortable. The angle of the hang was not right, so after adjusting the front and rear several times, I got it right. The ridge-line was closer to being level than before. I had the best sleep that I ever had sleeping in a hammock. Now, Iv'e thought about this and arrived at the conclusion that three areas (that I am aware of) of adjustment have bearing on each other. The first is of course hang angle. The second ridge length and the third slight variation in ridge line length as dictated by the hang angle both front and rear. The make it interesting, but very experiential. What I discovered (probably everyone else knows this) is when the hang angle changes, it has an effect on the ridge line (comfort zone) length. Let me explain. If two trees are farther apart than normal distance for hanging, the tautness of the suspension affects the, shall I say flex ability of the hammock to respond or adjust to body movement. If you a laying in the hammock with tight suspension and that can be at varying degrees of tautness. If the hang is taut, the lay is somewhat taut, hammock sides are tight, you feel cramped because you are cramped. In addition the distance of the (then) taut ridge line is greater than needed to allow a comfortable lay. The hammock needs more ability to flex (bend) with body movement. Considering a taut suspension with reduced hang angles causes the hammock to be taut as well. To compensate for this (out of the box) situation, the ridge length must be reduced to a length necessary to again provide the flex or you may say looseness in the hammock to provide again to comfort zone you had in a hang between two trees of normal distance. My thinking is suspension tautness reduces the hammocks ability to move with your body of allow you not to be cramped and feel the center of the gathered hammock end being tighter in the center of the hammock because when the hammock was constructed the center portion of the hammock is shorter in length than the sides, so the more distance from tree to tree, the tighter the suspension needs to be to keep you elevated and not touching ground, so--- everything gets tight. So, then having the ability to draw up or shorten (whichever you prefer) the ridge-line length allows the hammock to droop a little, giving a little more curve in the hammock to release the tightness. Conclusion: Having a fixed ridgeline that is as neer perfect in length for "the comfort in", feeling just doesn't apply to every situation. You need a way to compensate for (by necessity) poorly hung hammock hanging situations. I have some thoughts of how I might make changes to allow me to adjust ridgeline length., but I would rather get some input from you men that have refined this somewhat? Sorry about the long --- story, KISS is just not in my vocabulary.

• + New Posts