Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Young ones? Which young ones?

Frog... go back 1/2 page. No worries.

Hmmm what can an owl bring for pot luck... shelter mice?
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Frog... go back 1/2 page. No worries.

Hmmm what can an owl bring for pot luck... shelter mice?
    He's being funny. I turned 50 on Friday. That's still young, right?
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Test facility in the bedroom:

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    No need for another site yet unless we have more people that decide to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Probably not.

NJR, at this point I'll plan on encroaching on your turf in site 4, unless you want me to grab site 5 as well so that between those sites and Tree Frog at 12 we pretty much have the center of the camp locked up.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'm checking with Mrs sqidmark now to see if she's interested. Wish I'd seen this earlier. We hang nearly full time in the house now, but haven't been in the woods yet. Last weekend was our first time outside hanging in the back yard.

We "attended" the Oct Stokes hang but only dropped in to find out if hanging was our thing. Silversurfr and a few others helped us out. I see you have a sign-up sheet, but I don't really know what procedures/expectations that are involved.

Is this it and do we need to make reservations? If we can make it it we can't get there till late Sat due to previous arrangements for earlier part of day.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 06-06-2016 at 13:25.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I see you have a sign-up sheet, but I don't really know what procedures/expectations that are involved.
    Not much in the form of procedures/expectations. We usually share a menu and split the costs of the campsites. That's the purpose of the signup sheet. For reasons that are not entirely fathomable to me, noobs (and even experienced group hangers) have a difficult time grasping the idea of shared expenses. For example, right now there are two campsites reserved, probably at a cost of $25 to $50. Right now, based on the numbers signed up, that is probably all that is needed.

However, some people just can't stand the idea of "sharing" campsites so they'll reserve their own without even asking. If you do that, consider it a donation (unless you don't want to share your campsite, which raises the question of why you're going to a group hang in the first place). We once had a hang at Stokes State Forest that resulted in over $200 of campsite fees because people couldn't grasp the idea of shared expenses.

Same with food. If we share a menu and costs, then you don't need to bring anything (unless you agree to bring something). Njredneck has a Costco membership and he gets stuff cheaper than most, so if he's bringing three pounds of bacon for the group, then why would you buy bacon also? It happens. There are apparently pie lovers out there, because more than once we've had people who want to bring $75 worth of pies and add it to the group expenses. Sorry, but we usually don't have enough pie lovers willing to subsidize a $75 pie fetish. Bring a pie if you want, just don't expect it to be part of the group expenses unless it's approved.

The main thing with our group is keeping costs low - because we've seen how expensive things can get when we don't work as a team. I"m not the only one that has spent over $100 for a weekend outing, but if I had worked with the group, I probably would have spent $30.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I have no problem sharing a campsite and expenses. I'll bring only what I need to unless requested otherwise. We have our own chickens and can maybe bring a few extra eggs, we never know how many we'll have though.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I'm checking with Mrs sqidmark now to see if she's interested. Wish I'd seen this earlier. We hang nearly full time in the house now, but haven't been in the woods yet. Last weekend was our first time outside hanging in the back yard.

We "attended" the Oct Stokes hang but only dropped in to find out if hanging was our thing. Silversurfr and a few others helped us out. I see you have a sign-up sheet, but I don't really know what procedures/expectations that are involved.

Is this it and do we need to make reservations? If we can make it it we can't get there till late Sat due to previous arrangements for earlier part of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Not much in the form of procedures/expectations. We usually share a menu and split the costs of the campsites. That's the purpose of the signup sheet. For reasons that are not entirely fathomable to me, noobs (and even experienced group hangers) have a difficult time grasping the idea of shared expenses. For example, right now there are two campsites reserved, probably at a cost of $25 to $50. Right now, based on the numbers signed up, that is probably all that is needed.

However, some people just can't stand the idea of "sharing" campsites so they'll reserve their own without even asking. If you do that, consider it a donation (unless you don't want to share your campsite, which raises the question of why you're going to a group hang in the first place). We once had a hang at Stokes State Forest that resulted in over $200 of campsite fees because people couldn't grasp the idea of shared expenses.

Same with food. If we share a menu and costs, then you don't need to bring anything (unless you agree to bring something). Njredneck has a Costco membership and he gets stuff cheaper than most, so if he's bringing three pounds of bacon for the group, then why would you buy bacon also? It happens. There are apparently pie lovers out there, because more than once we've had people who want to bring $75 worth of pies and add it to the group expenses. Sorry, but we usually don't have enough pie lovers willing to subsidize a $75 pie fetish. Bring a pie if you want, just don't expect it to be part of the group expenses unless it's approved.

The main thing with our group is keeping costs low - because we've seen how expensive things can get when we don't work as a team. I"m not the only one that has spent over $100 for a weekend outing, but if I had worked with the group, I probably would have spent $30.
    I have no problem sharing a campsite and expenses. I'll bring only what I need to unless requested otherwise. We have our own chickens and can maybe bring a few extra eggs, we never know how many we'll have though.
    SS always loves to paint such a stark picture of things.

When it comes to food, many of our hangs we work out a menu and get all fancy with spreadsheets and such. This one NJR is keeping it simple - bring a dish for a pot luck Saturday dinner, and then otherwise you're on your own for food. We tend to like to eat well, so there's usually some sharing of items even when it's 'fend for yourself', but just don't count on it and you'll be all set. I've got a 4 year old, so other than pot luck I'll be bringing hot dogs and snack foods, since that's pretty much all he'll eat. Maybe a box of pancake mix for breakfast if I'm feeling industrious - in which case I'll make pancakes for anyone that's around until the mix is gone.

It doesn't look like this is going to be a big hang (last couple Father's Day hangs we've had 15-20 people or more) so if you bring something bring enough so that a dozen or so people could try it and you should be safe. But really, we're not picky and no one keeps track (much).

For campsites, there are already 2 sites reserved, so just plan on showing up and having around $5 per person to contribute to offset the site fees and there will be room for you. If more sites are needed someone (usually the organizer or the resident micro-manager) will chime in and suggest that someone grab an additional site.

All we really expect is that you have a good time. Sign up if you can make it, bring what you have/can, and if you have questions or need assistance don't be shy. If someone has a bad experience at one of our hangs, it's usually not because they were cold, hungry, under-outfitted, or bored ... at least if there's anything we can do about it.

Cheers!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I just signed up, hopefully won't have to cancel. Is there any particular time folks like to get there by? We're about 2hrs north and not sure what time we'll be able to leave but I'm hoping by 3.
    Is this the location?
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...atona-map.html

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I just signed up, hopefully won't have to cancel. Is there any particular time folks like to get there by? We're about 2hrs north and not sure what time we'll be able to leave but I'm hoping by 3.
    Is this the location?
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...atona-map.html
    Yes, that's the camp. If you put "Carranza Memorial" into google maps, the entrance to the camp is diagonally across the road from the memorial. Here's the memorial on the map:

https://goo.gl/maps/Z62usZbyPGz

And check out the attached image. The camp is where the red star is. We get decent cell reception back there, so if you can't make it, just post up in the thread the day of, and one of us will likely see it.

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 4.03.25 PM.png

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast