Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

Newbie Question: ENO Blaze UQ Input

Hi All -

I am looking for a good UQ for colder weather camping. My sons' scouting group camps in late Oct/early Nov, with the temps down to 20*F. I was hoping to find a UQ to use to hang on those trips. With REI's anniversary sale going on now, I can get an ENO Blaze for 20% off, making it $240 before tax.

I know there are other cottage vendors out there; do any of them offer a UQ of comparable or better quality (able to be used in that temperature range) for a similar/better cost? The wife won't let me drop too much on my new hobby/"mid-life crisis" (as she calls it), so I looking to get a good bang for my buck.

I appreciate all of your inputs! Thanks!
    ~Hathi

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I think you'll find our cottage vendors offer much better options, not only in performance, but also cost.

If you're considering going the synthetic route, in no particular order: Arrowhead Equipment, Loco Libre Gear and Enlightened Equipment all offer very well liked and respected synthetic underquilts. All 3 offer quilts that will well outperform the ENO and you can likely pick up for less $.

Here are a few recent threads on the synthetic underquilt topic....

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Quilt-Options

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ecommendations

If you have the tools or experience, you could even DIY your own and probably construct your own synthetic underquilt for around $65-$100.

If you have a $240ish budget, you could look at going the route of a down underquilt. Down will compress better and come in much lighter than synthetics. Here you have even more options and there are countless threads on "which should I buy...".
    Again, in no particular order these vendors often are recommended....Loco Libre Gear, Hammock Gear, Underground Quilts, Jacks-r-Better, Enlightened Equipment, Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works (and I'm sure I'm missing a few off the top of my head).

added info and quick links......

If you're expecting 20° temps, get something that you're sure will take you to that temp or ideally below. Sleeping cold just isn't fun. Some vendors have stock ready for shipping that aren't customizable, others will build them from scratch with customizations down to thread color choice, but may have a wait time. If you're able to, check out a group hang or try to meet someone who may have gear that you could look at to determine what you may like in the gear. There are a ton of options that can be tweaked and will cause the price to fluctuate....here are just a few 20° or below uq links ....

HammockGear

Underground Quilts

Loco Libre

Jacks-R-Better

Arrowhead Equipment

Enlightened Equipment
    Last edited by Eidson; 05-24-2016 at 09:02.

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a Blaze that I also got a couple years ago for well under MSRP. It is down, and I have been very happy with it to the low 30s. I have never tried it lower than that. I would suggest adding some kind of additional line locks to the shock cord if you choose to get it (right up against what ENO supplies). I did this with scrap cord I had lying around, and it really helped me hold my preferred positioning on the UQ.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Almost every cottage vendor offers UQs that are comparable or better compared to ENO. Quilts are not their specialty and they don't do it well.

For $240 you can get a much better UQ from one of our cottage vendors that will weigh much less, have higher fill power, and the down will also be waterproof (Dri-Down). Right now I'm looking at the HG website and they have a standard full-length Incubator 20*, weight 22 oz., and 850 fill Dri-Down for $249.

So for around the same price you could get an UQ that will actually perform to its rating, be water-resistant, higher fill power and less weight. I would personally recommend that you avoid ENO insulation since they just don't do it very well.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    Please don't buy an ENO underquilt. Buyer's remorse will slap you hard.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC 1.1DL
    Insulation
    Chewbacca
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyBeans View Post
    Please don't buy an ENO underquilt. Buyer's remorse will slap you hard.
    Agreed. Buy once, cry once. If you are considering spending that amount of money, better options are available.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I can highly recommend HG's Incubator. Another vendor that gets rave reviews here is Locolibre. They sell synthetic as well as down underquilts. With a lot of fillpower options as well as different sizes, you should be able to get something for $240 that's warmer and lighter than ENO.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Can I assume this is car camping? A regular full-length New River underquilt with the 4-season upgrade is only $205 + shipping, and will keep you warm well below 20* (I've had mine down to 8* and was toasty warm). Better bang for your buck IMO.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the mentions gents, much appreciated.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts