Descender rings slipping

I recently purchased a Hennessy ultralight backpacker.

In my first test using a tree hugger and descender rings, the rings did not hold.

They did not drop me to the ground, Rather they slipped at a gentle rate of descent so that I softly touched my butt to the dirt.

I solved the problem by putting a simple Half hitch at the top to prevent slippage.

But it makes me wonder, given the thinness of the included (Sprectra?) cord in the suspension system:

1. Will I be able to sleep the night through without worrying about it's lowering me to the ground?

2. Am I providing too much force on the line at a single point that will eventually fail?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Are you running the rope thru the rings? I'd have to see a pic to be sure, but there's probably not enough friction on the rope - rings typically work best w/straps. Special lashings / knots are needed to make the most of a ring/ rope setup.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    The same thing happens to me with my Hennessey. The ultra light cords are thinner than with the regular hammocks and prone to slip using O rings.

I do the same thing as you, add a half hitch and problem solved. I wouldn't worry about a single point fail. While the cords may be thin, they are fairly strong.

I thankfully have never ended up on the ground.

Carl

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It is common for folks to try rings with the spectra line. It is also common for it to work for them for any where from 1 hang to ??? hangs. It is also common for the line to snap and dump them on their rears. Rings and webbing were the hot thing about 7-8 years ago. Then cinch buckles replaced the rings at a fraction of the size and weight. Then Whoopies slings took over from there with lighter weight and smaller pack size again.

Tying a slipped half above the ring is common practice but the rope will get crushed and weakened. Look at some of the other better systems for suspension so you don't get dropped in the middle of the night.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Straps and a half hitch for the win with descender rings.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    The Hennessey's ropes outer casing doesn't like being pinched between two ring's.... either replace with tougher static climbing rope which i do or change it out for webbing etc etc. That's a personal choice.
    ...And always half hitch for safety. It's your back that's going to hit the ground.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    I had to run my loop through the rings twice before splitting the rings for the rope tail. I also tie off behind the rings as insurance. But... after a few outings in the hammock, (some in my back yard and one on a campout) I noticed that the rings on one end had ruptured the outer lining of the rope. So, I have since changed to cinch buckles and straps instead.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    I've used descender rings without fail for years. First, I like having them as kit for other uses, and second, they work great with dyneema line (for me, at least). Slippage depends on the number of times the line is wrapped around the ring in my experience. Having used them for climbing years ago, I learned a thing from Prof Grizz (I believe he as a vid on it) for use with a hammock and haven't looked back. Slippage based on turns around something is a basic in rappelling and something I think is nearly as nice to know as knots...
    CMFSAT

• + New Posts