Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

GG Thinlight vs Nightlight

Posted this in another thread but it kind of got lost in the conversation.

I've been looking at the Gossamer Gear pads, but had a question. What is the difference in insulation between the "Thinlight" (Evazote) and the "Nightlight" (EVA Polyolefin)? From a "pad thickness" point of view it sounds like the EVA would be more insulating, but I'm not familiar enough with the characteristics of the materials to say that for sure. My heels tend to get sore from pressure anyway, so a softer pad might me more comfortable for me, and the egg-crate surface might make that possible. I'm thinking the torso-sized pad might be a good thing. However, insulation would be the higher goal. Any thoughts?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BUMP--any ideas on this?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used the NightLight for quite awhile as a pad in my pack and also for sleeping on (ground). After about a month's use, the egg crate was beginning to flatten. It probably wouldn't flatten much in a hammock. Warmth wise, it was equivalent to about a 3/8" ThinLight. Until very recently I used a SitLight for my lower legs and feet area in the WBBB, and as a back pad in my pack. For winter, I've since switched to a 3/8" ThinLight, trimmed to match my hammock shape, for my lower legs and feet.

In answer to your question... a ThinLight will work as well as the NightLight if you use at least a 1/4", and preferably a 3/8" if you're using it under your body, too.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Scott,
    IMO, "egg crate" pads add to the comfort on the ground. In a hammock, the pad is simply insulation...the comfort is provided by the hammock.
    ~According to GG, the base of the egg crate is 1/4". When you lie on the pad, you compress the higher points (which is why it adds comfort on the ground). Unfortunately, you only get the insulation value of the thinnest point (the 1/4" sections).
    ~ The "egg crate" pattern will be bulky compared to the Thinlight for the same insulation

Do you put anything under your knees at night in your hammock? Maybe your heels are sore because the rest of your legs aren't supporting your legs? just thinking out loud...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    For winter, I've since switched to a 3/8" ThinLight, trimmed to match my hammock shape, for my lower legs and feet.

In answer to your question... a ThinLight will work as well as the NightLight if you use at least a 1/4", and preferably a 3/8" if you're using it under your body, too.
    That helps a lot, thanks for the reply. I'm leaning toward the thicker pad.

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Scott,
    IMO, "egg crate" pads add to the comfort on the ground. In a hammock, the pad is simply insulation...the comfort is provided by the hammock.
    ~According to GG, the base of the egg crate is 1/4". When you lie on the pad, you compress the higher points (which is why it adds comfort on the ground). Unfortunately, you only get the insulation value of the thinnest point (the 1/4" sections).
    ~ The "egg crate" pattern will be bulky compared to the Thinlight for the same insulation

Do you put anything under your knees at night in your hammock? Maybe your heels are sore because the rest of your legs aren't supporting your legs? just thinking out loud...
    Feel free to continue thinking out loud...that's what I'm asking for!

I suspected what you said above about the base thickness, just didn't know what the real world experience was as far as insulation.

Regarding the heel soreness, I just don't carry enough extra stuff to put under both my knees and lower legs, too. I don't really want to bring my sweaty pack into the hammock, but I may have to consider that.

More the issue, though, is I don't think my HH Explorer is big enough for me. There's too much "lift" at the feet, if you know what I mean. The fabric is lifting toward the suspension at that point, so I get quite a bit of pressure on my heels unless I have a lot of stuff under my legs. I'm so much more comfortable in my Kalisto cheapie that I'm really wondering why I spent what I did on the HH, and I think one of the reasons is because its longer, maybe also because there is no bug net lifting the side of the hammock. What I know is, I really don't have nearly the issue with knee hyperextension in it as I do in the HH.

Watch me become a bridge hammock convert soon...

Anyway, if the insulation was nearly the same, I'd consider trying the eggcrate style for the comfort factor. I was wondering more whether the materials (EVA polyolefin vs Evazote) were any different as far as insulating value.
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    What is the difference in insulation between the "Thinlight" (Evazote) and the "Nightlight" (EVA Polyolefin)?
    Evazote = EVA Polyolefin = EVA = ethyl vinyl acetate = copolymer of ethylene and vinyl acetate

The differences are in how the foam is blown by each manufacturer, which makes for differences in density, rigidity, heat transfer and other properties. I don't know which is better for insulating, but you could easily discover the answer by experiment. EVA is not generally used for it's insulation properties, except by campers.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    i've been watching this thread for a bit. what does everyone prefer to use under their feet in a blackbird... just curious as to what that kind of foam would be

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    i've been watching this thread for a bit. what does everyone prefer to use under their feet in a blackbird... just curious as to what that kind of foam would be
    I'll show you the tapered piece of 3/8" ThinLight... 30" long tapering from 19" to 11" when I see you this weekend. It's my winter setup.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Watch me become a bridge hammock convert soon...
    IF you do, I might have a bridge to sell you!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Evazote = EVA Polyolefin = EVA = ethyl vinyl acetate = copolymer of ethylene and vinyl acetate

The differences are in how the foam is blown by each manufacturer, which makes for differences in density, rigidity, heat transfer and other properties. I don't know which is better for insulating, but you could easily discover the answer by experiment. EVA is not generally used for it's insulation properties, except by campers.

- MacEntyre
    Thanks for the explanation. I could experiment, you're right. Just thought someone may have figured this out already so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    IF you do, I might have a bridge to sell you!
    Hmmmmm......
    --Scott <><

• + New Posts